For the 64th UN session (2009-2010), President Barack Obama appointed Mrs. Schuster to serve as a Public Delegate to the United Nations General Assembly. Schuster focuses her work for the U.N. in the area of human trafficking.
In 2004, she and her husband, Gerald, founded The Elaine and Gerald Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism at Brandeis University.
Along with her husband, Mrs. Schuster founded a community-based network center, called PEACE (Partnerships in Education and Community Enrichment).
Awards and honors
Schuster and her husband received the Heritage Society Award from the Brigham & Women’s Hospital. She has been honored by Franciscan Children’s Hospital. In 2011, Schuster was honored by the Big Sister Association of Greater Boston.
Schuster is active in Democratic politics on both state and national level. She has served as Finance Chair to Senator John Kerry, as National Advisory Board member and the New England Chair for Hillary Clinton’s Presidential Campaign and has been a past Chair of the Democratic National Committee’s Women’s Leadership Forum. The Massachusetts State Democratic Party has honored her for her work on behalf of Democratic values.
She is married to Gerald Schuster, the President of Continental Wingate Company Inc. The two reside in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, Osterville, Massachusetts and Palm Beach, Florida. Gerald Schuster has been described as a slumlord for the gross mismanagement of the Diego-Beekman housing projects in the South Bronx, New York, with over 1200 housing code violations in 2 years.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts, 9/22/09 | The White House". Whitehouse.gov. 2009-09-22. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "About the Institute | Schuster Institute | Brandeis University". Brandeis.edu. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Donnelly, Shannon. "Doctorate elevates achievements to the nth degree". Palm Beach Daily News. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Board Biographies - Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service - Tufts University". Activecitizen.tufts.edu. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Goldstein, Meredith. "Celebrating the Brigham's new transplant center". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- Kampeas, Ron (2009-09-22). "Elaine Schuster, Brandeis giver, gets U.N. nod | Capital J | JTA - Jewish & Israel News". Blogs.jta.org. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- "Chelsea Clinton wows charity crowd with off-the-cuff tribute to her late grandmother - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Jonathan Kozol, 2012, Fire in the Ashes: Twenty-Five Years Among the Poorest Children in America, p. 283 (book).