|Stable release||1.4.1 / November 26, 2014|
|Type||Search and index|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
Elasticsearch is a search server based on Lucene. It provides a distributed, multitenant-capable full-text search engine with a RESTful web interface and schema-free JSON documents. Elasticsearch is developed in Java and is released as open source under the terms of the Apache License.
Shay Banon created Compass in 2004. While thinking about the third version of Compass he realized that it would be necessary to rewrite big parts of Compass to "create a scalable search solution". So he created "a solution built from the ground up to be distributed" and used a common interface, JSON over HTTP, suitable for programming languages other than Java as well. Shay Banon released the first version of Elasticsearch in February 2010.
In June 2014, the company announced raising $70 million in a Series C funding round, just 18 months after forming the company. The round was led by New Enterprise Associates (NEA). Additional funders include Benchmark Capital and Index Ventures. This round brings total funding to $104M.
Elasticsearch can be used to search all kinds of documents. It provides scalable search, has near real-time search, and supports multitenancy. "ElasticSearch is distributed, which means that indices can be divided into shards and each shard can have zero or more replicas. Each node hosts one or more shards, and acts as a coordinator to delegate operations to the correct shard(s). Rebalancing and routing are done automatically [...]".
It uses Lucene and tries to make all features of it available through the JSON and Java API. It supports facetting and percolating, which can be useful for notifying if new documents match for registered queries.
Another feature is called "gateway" and handles the long term persistence of the index; for example, an index can be recovered from the gateway in a case of a server crash. Elasticsearch supports real-time GET requests, which makes it suitable as a NoSQL solution, but it lacks distributed transactions.
- Airmozilla 
- PyCon 2013
- What's Next 2011
- Berlin Buzzwords 2010-2012
- PHP UK 2011
- YAPC::EU 2010
- Banon, Shay. "The Future of Compass & ElasticSearch". Archived from the original on 2013-08-27.
- Banon, Shay (2010-02-08). "You Know, for Search". Archived from the original on 2013-01-16.
- "Official Website". Elasticsearch.org. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "percolate at elasticsearch.org reference". Elasticsearch.org. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "elasticsearch Guide: Gateway". elasticsearch. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- "ElasticSearch as database". Karussell.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "No transaction support". Elasticsearch-users.115913.n3.nabble.com. 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Elasticsearch.org Case Studies". Elasticsearch.org. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- Horohoe, Chad (2014-01-06). "Wikimedia moving to Elasticsearch". Wikimedia blog. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "StumbleUpon | Developer Blog". StumbleUpon.com. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "ElasticSearch helps Mozilla Metrics team". Pedroalves-bi.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Full Text Search on Quora". Quora.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "foursquare now uses Elastic Search (and on a related note: Slashem also works with Elastic Search)! | Foursquare Engineering Blog". Engineering.foursquare.com. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Oculus: The metric correlation component of Etsy's Kale system". Github.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Petar Djekic. "Architecture behind our new Search and Explore experience". Backstage.soundcloud.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "A Whole New Code Search 路 GitHub". Github.com. 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "openFDA - About the API". FDA.gov.
- "Needle in a haystack - Using Elasticsearch to run the Large Hadron Collider of CERN". medium.com.
- Craver, Nick (22 November 2013). "What it takes to run Stack Overflow". Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Missing intro to elasticsearch".
- "PyCon 2013 - Elasticsearch (Part 1): Indexing and Querying". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Video, InfoQ presentation". Infoq.com. 2011-10-18. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- "Shay Banon Elasticsearch - A Distributed Search Engine On Vimeo". Vimeo.com. 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- from newthinking PRO 1 year ago Not Yet Rated (2012-06-26). "Berlin Buzzwords 2012". Vimeo.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Zmievski, Andrei (25 Feb 2011). "99 Problems, But The Search Ain't One (PHP UK 2011)". elasticsearch. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- [dead link]