||This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)
Elayn Hunt Correctional Center (EHCC) is located in St. Gabriel, Louisiana, is a multi-security- level Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections institution for adult men. It is the second largest prison in Louisiana. Elayn Hunt Correctional Center was featured on an episode of MSNBC's Lockup series. Hunt is immediately west of the Louisiana Correctional Institute for Women. Elayn Hunt has about half of the prisoners that the Louisiana State Penitentiary has. Male inmates from all parishes enter the DOC system through the Hunt Reception and Diagnostic Center (HRDC) at Hunt.
EHCC opened in 1979.
In January 2002, a prison cemetery opened at Hunt, taking some state prisoners unclaimed by families. Before that month all unclaimed state prisoners were buried at Point Lookout Cemetery in the Louisiana State Penitentiary.
Prior to 2010, Hunt served as the reception center only for male prisoners from southern parishes, while Forcht-Wade Correctional Center had the reception center for male prisoners from northern parishes. In 2009 the state announced that Forcht-Wade would be redesignated as a substance abuse center, and Hunt would handle reception of males for all areas of the state. Hunt also expanded its nursing unit to accommodate prisoners from Forcht-Wade's nursing unit.
Notable prisoners 
- ^ "Elayn Hunt Correctional Center." (Profile) Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections. Retrieved on July 20, 2010.
- ^ "Directions to EHCC." Elayn Hunt Correctional Center. Retrieved on July 20, 2010.
- ^ "Louisiana Correctional Institute for Women." Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections. Retrieved on August 24, 2010.
- ^ Oaklander, Mary. "John Kinsel: Kicked out of Angola Prison for Hair Balls Interview." Houston Press. Thursday April 28, 2011. Retrieved on May 11, 2011.
- ^ a b Welborn, Vickie. "Forcht Wade converting to substance abuse treatment facility." The Shreveport Times. December 11, 2009. Retrieved on October 25, 2012. "EHCC will handle the offender intake process for the entire state and will open its skilled nursing unit to meet the critical medical and mental health needs of the state offender population."
- ^ a b "Classification–Where Inmates Serve Their Time." Inside the System: How Inmates Live and Work. (Archive) Louisiana Department of Public Safety & Corrections. 13/40. Retrieved on June 30, 2010.
- ^ "Time in Prison." Louisiana Department of Public Safety & Corrections. 26/40. September 23, 2010.
- ^ "Photo Album." Louisiana State Penitentiary. Retrieved on July 20, 2010.
- ^ Staggs, Sean. "Forcht Wade Correctional Center to close this summer." KSLA-TV. February 9, 2012. Retrieved on October 25, 2012.
- ^ Miller, Carla DeGuerin. "Mystikal Released from Prison; Grammy Nominated Rapper Did 6 Years for Sex Crime." CBS News. January 15, 2010. Retrieved on October 23, 2011.
- ^ "Louisiana Automated Victim Notification System: Offender Details." Retrieved on June 24, 2012.
External links