Eldridge M. Moores
|This biography relies on references to primary sources. (October 2007)|
Eldridge Moores (born 13 October 1938) is an American geologist who specializes in the understanding of ophiolites (fragments of oceanic crust and mantle that have been emplaced onto the continental crust) and the geology of the continental crust of the Western United States and Tethyan belt, the geology of Greece, Cyprus, and Pakistan, and the tectonic development of the Sierra Nevada and the Alpine - Himalayan systems. He is Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Geology at the University of California, Davis. Moores was President of the Geological Society of America (GSA), 1996 and editor of the society’s journal Geology from 1981 to 1989. He is the recipient of the GSA’s Distinguished Service Award and the Geological Association of Canada Medal.
Together with geologist Rob Twiss, Moores has co-authored two textbooks: Tectonics and Structural Geology.
Moores is the main subject of the 1993 John McPhee book on California geology, Assembling California.
- Eldridge M. Moores, Robert J. Twiss (1995) Tectonics (W. H. Freeman)
- Robert J. Twiss, Eldridge M. Moores, (December 15, 2006) Structural Geology 2nd edition, (W. H. Freeman)
- Eldridge M. Moores (Editor)(2003) Volcanoes and Earthquakes (Discoveries).
- Lauret E. Savoy, Eldridge M. Moores, and Judith E. Moores, editors, (2006) Bedrock: Writers on the Wonders of Geology (Trinity University Press)
- Carol S. Prentice, Judith G. Scotchmoor, Eldridge M. Moores, John P. Kiland (Editors) (2006) 1906 San Francisco Earthquake Centennial Field Guide (Geological Society of America)
- Richard Rodriguez, Sandra Phillips, Aaron Betsky, Eldridge Moores, Eldridge M. Moores (1996) Crossing the Frontier: Photographs of the Developing West, 1849 to the Present (Chronicle Book)
- Yildirim Dilek, Eldridge M. Moores, Don Elthon, and Adolphe Nicolas (editors) (2001) Ophiolites and Oceanic Crust: New Insights from Field Studies and the Ocean Drilling Program (Special Paper of the Geological Society of America)
- Moores’ webpage at UC Davis
- Eldridge Moores Papers at Special Collections Dept., University Library, University of California, Davis
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an Earth scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|