Nora Roberts, 2007
|Born||Eleanor Marie Robertson
October 10, 1950
Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
|Pen name||Nora Roberts
|Genre||Romance, fantasy, suspense|
|Spouse||Ronald Aufdem-Brinke (1968–1983),
Bruce Wilder (1985–present)
Nora Roberts (born Eleanor Marie Robertson on October 10, 1950) is an American bestselling author of more than 209 romance novels. She writes as J. D. Robb for the in Death series, and has also written under the pseudonyms Jill March and for publications in the U.K. as Sarah Hardesty.
Nora Roberts was the first author to be inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame. As of 2011, her novels had spent a combined 861 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List, including 176 weeks in the number-one spot.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Works
- 3 References
- 4 Sources
- 5 External links
Life and career
Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, the youngest of five children. She is of Irish descent as both of her parents have Irish ancestors, and has described herself as "an Irishwoman through and through". Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. Although she had always made up stories in her head, Roberts did not write as a child, other than essays for school. She does claim to have "told lies. Really good ones — some of which my mother still believes." She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her second year in high school, Roberts transferred to a local public school, Montgomery Blair High School, where she met her first husband, Ronald Aufdem-Brinke. They married, against her parents' wishes, in 1968, as soon as she had graduated from high school.
The newly married couple settled in Keedysville, Maryland. Roberts' husband worked at his father's sheet-metal business before joining her parents in their lighting company. She gave birth to two sons, Dan and Jason. Roberts became a homemaker and would later refer to this time period as her "Earth Mother" years. Roberts spent much of her time doing crafts, including ceramics and sewing her children's clothes.
Roberts met her second husband, Bruce Wilder, a carpenter, when she hired him to build her bookshelves. They were married in July 1985. Her husband owns and operates a bookstore in Boonsboro, Maryland called Turn the Page Books. The Wilders also owned the nearby historic Boone Hotel, which was undergoing renovations when it was destroyed by a fire in February 2008. It opened as the Inn BoonsBoro in 2009; the suites were inspired by and named for romantic couples from books.
Roberts once stated: "You're going to be unemployed if you really think you just have to sit around and wait for the muse to land on your shoulder." She concentrates on one novel at a time, writing eight hours a day, every day, even while on vacation. Rather than begin with an outline or plot summary, Roberts instead envisions a key incident, character, or setting. She then writes a short first draft that has the basic elements of a story. After finishing the first draft, Roberts goes back to the beginning of the novel. The second draft usually sees the addition of details, the "texture and color" of the work, as well as a more in-depth study of the characters. She then does a final pass to polish the novel before sending it to her agent, Amy Berkower.
She often writes trilogies, finishing the three books in a row so that she can remain with the same characters. When possible, she does the same with the "In Death" books, writing three in a row before returning to contemporary romances. Her trilogies are all released in paperback, as Roberts believes the wait for hardcover editions is too long for the reader.
Roberts does much of her research over the Internet, as she has an aversion to flying.
She began to write during a blizzard in February 1979 while housebound with her two small boys. Roberts states that with three feet of snow, a dwindling supply of chocolate, and no morning kindergarten she had little else to do. While writing down her ideas for the first time, she fell in love with the writing process, and quickly produced six manuscripts. She submitted her manuscripts to Harlequin, the leading publisher of romance novels, but was repeatedly rejected. Roberts says,
"I got the standard rejection for the first couple of tries, then my favorite rejection of all time. I received my manuscript back with a nice little note which said that my work showed promise, and the story had been very entertaining and well done. But that they already had their American writer. That would have been Janet Dailey."
In 1980, a new publisher, Silhouette books, formed to take advantage of the pool of manuscripts from the many American writers that Harlequin had snubbed. Roberts found a home at Silhouette, where her first novel, Irish Thoroughbred, was published in 1981. She used the pseudonym Nora Roberts, a shortened form of her birth name Eleanor Marie Robertson, because she assumed that all romance authors had pen names.
Between 1982 and 1984, Roberts wrote 23 novels for Silhouette. They were published under various Silhouette imprints: Silhouette Sensation, Silhouette Special Edition and Silhouette Desire, as well as Silhouette Intrigue, and MIRA's reissue program. In 1985, Playing the Odds, the first novel in the MacGregor family series, was published. The book was an immediate bestseller.
In 1987, she began writing single title books for Bantam. Five years later she moved to Putnam to write single title hard covers as well as original paperbacks. She reached the hardcover bestseller lists with her fourth hardcover release, 1996's Montana Sky. Roberts has continued to release single-title novels in paperback. She still occasionally writes shorter category romances. Her attachment to the shorter category books stems from her years as a young mother of two boys without much time to read, as she "[remembers] exactly what it felt like to want to read and not have time to read 200,000 words."
Roberts and her career were featured in Pamela Regis' A Natural History of the Romance Novel. Regis calls Roberts "a master of the romance novel form, because she "has a keen ear for dialogue, constructs deft scenes, maintains a page-turning pace, and provides compelling characterization." Publishers Weekly once talked about her "wry humor and the use of different narrators, two devices that were once rarities" in the romance novel genre.
Roberts had long wanted to write romantic suspense novels in the vein of Mary Stewart, but, at the urging of her agent, she concentrated on classic contemporary romance novels while she built a following of readers. After moving to Putnam in 1992, the publishing company quickly realized that they were unable to keep up with Roberts's prolific output. They suggested that she adopt a second pseudonym so that they would be able to publish more of her work each year.
Her agent, Amy Berkover, convinced the publishers to allow Roberts to write romantic suspense novels under the new name. Her first romantic suspense novel was published in 1995 under the pseudonym J.D. Robb. The initials "J.D." were taken from her sons, Jason and Dan, while "Robb" is a shortened form of Roberts. She first decided to use the pseudonym D.J. MacGregor, but right before publication, she discovered that this pseudonym was used by another author.
As J.D. Robb, Roberts has published a series of futuristic science fiction police procedurals. These books, all part of the "In Death" series, feature NYPSD Detective Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke and are set in a mid-21st century New York City. Despite the emphasis on solving a crime in each of the books, the overall theme of the series is the development of the relationship between Eve and Roarke. When the "In Death" series began, neither Roberts nor her publisher acknowledged that she was in fact the author. They hoped to allow the series to stand on its own merits and build its own following.
After publishing 18 novels in the "In Death" series, Putnam published the nineteenth, Divided in Death first in hardcover. The book became Roberts' first bestselling novel of 2004.
As of March 2013, Roberts has published 36 books in the "In Death" series, with more scheduled.
She wrote a story for a magazine titled "Melodies of Love" under the pseudonym Jill March.
Roberts has also been known as Sarah Hardesty. When the "Born In" series was released in Britain it carried that name instead of Nora Roberts. She has since changed publishers.
Roberts is remarkably prolific—in 1996 she passed the hundred-novel mark with Montana Sky and in 2012 she doubled that with The Witness. In both 1999 and 2000, four of the five novels that USA Today listed as the best-selling romance novels of the year were written by Roberts. Her first appearance on the New York Times Bestseller List came in 1991, and between 1991 and 2001, she had 68 New York Times Bestsellers, counting hardbacks and paperbacks. The New York Times did not review any of those novels. In 2001, Roberts had 10 best-selling mass-market paperbacks, according to Publishers Weekly, not counting those books written under the J.D. Robb name. In September 2001, for the first time Roberts took the numbers 1 and 2 spots on the Publishers Weekly bestseller list, as her romance Time and Again was number one, and her J.D. Robb release Seduction in Death was number two.
Since 1999, every one of Roberts's novels has been a New York Times bestseller, and 124 of her novels have ranked on the Times bestseller list, including twenty-nine that debuted in the number-one spot. As of January 24, 2013, Roberts's novels had spent a combined 948 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List, including 148 weeks in the number-one spot. As of January 9, 2009, 400 million copies of her books are in print, including 12 million copies sold in 2005 alone. Her novels have been published in 35 countries.
A founding member of the Romance Writers of America (RWA), Roberts was the first inductee in the organization's Hall of Fame. In 1997 she was awarded the RWA Lifetime Achievement Award, which in 2008 was renamed the RWA Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award. As of 2012, she has won an unprecedented 21 of the RWA's RITA Awards, the highest honor given in the romance genre.
Two of Roberts' novels, Sanctuary and Magic Moments, had previously been made into TV movies. In 2007, Lifetime Television adapted four Nora Roberts novels into TV movies: Angels Fall starring Heather Locklear, Montana Sky starring Ashley Williams, Blue Smoke starring Alicia Witt, and Carolina Moon starring Claire Forlani. This was the first time that Lifetime had adapted multiple works by the same author. Four more films were released on four consecutive Saturdays in March and April 2009. The 2009 collection included Northern Lights starring LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian, Midnight Bayou starring Jerry O'Connell, High Noon starring Emilie de Ravin, and Tribute starring Brittany Murphy.
Time named Roberts one of their 100 Most Influential People in 2007, saying she "has inspected, dissected, deconstructed, explored, explained and extolled the passions of the human heart." Roberts was one of only two authors on the list, the other being David Mitchell.
Victim of plagiarism
In 1997, another best-selling romance writer, Janet Dailey, admitted to repeatedly plagiarizing Roberts' work. The practice came to light after a reader read Roberts' Sweet Revenge and Dailey's Notorious back-to-back; she noticed several similarities and posted the comparable passages on the Internet. Calling the plagiarism "mind-boggling," Roberts sued Dailey. Dailey acknowledged the plagiarism and attributed it to a psychological disorder. She admitted that both Aspen Gold and Notorious lifted heavily from Roberts' work. Both of those novels were pulled from print after Dailey's admission. In April 1998, Dailey settled the case. Roberts donated the settlement to various literary causes including the Literacy Volunteers of America.
Roberts joined the chorus strongly criticizing fellow romance writer Cassie Edwards, who had lifted many passages from much older sources (many in the public domain), without giving credit, forcing Edwards out of the business.
Roberts has been included repeatedly on the Giving Back Fund's annual lists of the most philanthropic celebrities, with the bulk of her donations going to the Nora Roberts Foundation. The foundation financially supports organizations that promote literacy and the arts, assist children and engage in humanitarian efforts. The Foundation also endowed the Nora Roberts Center for American Romance at McDaniel College, which supports academic scholarship on the American romance novel, with special emphasis on the literary qualities and significance of the romance. Roberts has made other charitable efforts such as auctioning her jewelry.
Nora Roberts/JD Robb titles
Note: This list contains titles of the books as they were originally published, not reprints. If you have a question about a title not on this list, please look at the copyright page of the book to see when the titles within were first published. The title, as it appears on this list, will be noted on the copyright page.
Title /Publisher Pub date Series(s)/Connected Book(c)
- #IRISH THOROUGHBRED (SR 81) 5/81 s – Irish Hearts
- #BLITHE IMAGES (SR 127) 1/82
- #SONG OF THE WEST (SR 143) 4/82
- #SEARCH FOR LOVE (SR 163) 7/82
- #ISLAND OF FLOWERS (SR 180) 10/82
- #HEART'S VICTORY (SE 59) 11/82
- #FROM THIS DAY (SR 199) 1/83
- #HER MOTHER'S KEEPER (SR 125) 4/83
- #ONCE MORE WITH FEELING (IM 2) 5/83
- #REFLECTIONS (SE 100) 6/83 c – Dreams
- #TONIGHT AND ALWAYS (IM 12) 7/83
- DANCE OF DREAMS (SE 116) 9/83 c – Reflections
- UNTAMED (SR 252) 10/83
- THIS MAGIC MOMENT (IM 25) 11/83
- ENDINGS & BEGINNINGS (IM 33) 1/84
- STORM WARNING (SR 274) 2/84
- PROMISE ME TOMORROW (Pocket mm) 2/84
- SULLIVAN'S WOMAN (SR 280) 3/84
- FIRST IMPRESSION (SE 162) 4/84
- A MATTER OF CHOICE (IM 49) 5/84
- LESS OF A STRANGER (SR 299) 6/84
- THE LAW IS A LADY (SE 175) 7/84
- RULES OF THE GAME (IM 70) 10/84
- OPPOSITES ATTRACT (SE 199) 11/84
- PLAYING THE ODDS (SE 225) 3/85 s – The MacGregors
- THE RIGHT PATH (IM 85) 3/85
- PARTNERS (IM 94) 5/85
- TEMPTING FATE (SE 235) 5/85 s – The MacGregors
- NIGHT MOVES (HI 19) 6/85
- ALL THE POSSIBILITIES (SE 247) 7/85 s – The MacGregors
- ONE MAN'S ART (SE 259) 9/85 s – The MacGregors
- BOUNDARY LINES (IM 114) 10/85
- SUMMER DESSERTS (SE 271) 11/85 c – Lessons Learned
- DUAL IMAGE (IM 123) 12/85
- SECOND NATURE (SE 288) 1/86 c – One Summer
- THE ART OF DECEPTION (IM 131) 2/86
- ONE SUMMER (SE 306) 4/86 c – Second Nature
- AFFAIRE ROYALE (IM 142) 5/86 s – Cordina’s Royal Family
- LESSONS LEARNED (SE 318) 6/86 c – Summer Desserts
- TREASURES LOST, TREASURES FOUND (IM 150) 7/86
- RISKY BUSINESS (IM 160) 9/86
- A WILL AND A WAY (SE 345) 11/86
- HOME FOR CHRISTMAS (Sil. Christmas) 11/86 Novella
- FOR NOW, FOREVER (SE 361) 2/87 s – The MacGregors
- MIND OVER MATTER (IM 185) 4/87
- COMMAND PERFORMANCE (IM 198) 7/87 s – Cordina’s Royal Family
- HOT ICE (Bantam mm) 7/87
- TEMPTATION (SR 529) 9/87
- THE PLAYBOY PRINCE (IM 212) 10/87 s – Cordina’s Royal Family
- SACRED SINS (Bantam mm) 11/87 c – Brazen Virtue
- LOCAL HERO (SE 427) 1/88
- IRISH ROSE (IM 232) 3/88 s – Irish Hearts
- THE LAST HONEST WOMAN (SE 451) 5/88 s – The O’Hurleys
- BRAZEN VIRTUE (Bantam mm) 5/88 c – Sacred Sins
- DANCE TO THE PIPER (SE 463) 7/88 s – The O’Hurleys
- REBELLION (HH 4) 8/88 s – The MacGregors
- SKIN DEEP (SE 475) 9/88 s – The O’Hurleys
- THE NAME OF THE GAME (IM 264) 11/88
- SWEET REVENGE (Bantam mm) 11/88
- LOVING JACK (SE 499) 1/89 c – Best Laid Plans, Lawless
- BEST LAID PLANS (SE 511) 3/89 c – Loving Jack, Lawless
- LAWLESS (HH 21) 5/89 c – Loving Jack, Best Laid Plans
- IMPULSE (Sil Summer Sizzler) 6/89 Novella
- GABRIEL'S ANGEL (IM 300) 8/89
- THE WELCOMING (SE 553) 10/89
- TIME WAS (IM 31) 12/89 c – Times Change
- TIMES CHANGE (IM 317) 1/90 c – Time Was
- PUBLIC SECRETS (Bantam mm) 1/90
- TAMING NATASHA (SE 583) 3/90 s – The Stanislaskis
- WITHOUT A TRACE (SE 625) 10/90 s – The O’Hurleys
- IN FROM THE COLD (HH Christmas) 11/90 s – The MacGregors
- NIGHT SHIFT (IM 365) 1/91 s – Night Tales
- NIGHT SHADOW (im 373) 3/91 s – Night Tales
- COURTING CATHERINE (SR 801) 6/91 s – The Calhoun Women
- A MAN FOR AMANDA (SD 649) 7/91 s – The Calhoun Women
- FOR THE LOVE OF LILAH (SE 685) 8/91 s – The Calhoun Women
- GENUINE LIES (Bantam mm) 8/91
- SUZANNA'S SURRENDER (IM 397) 9/91 s – The Calhoun Women
- LURING A LADY (SE 709) 12/91 s – The Stanislaskis
- CARNAL INNOCENCE (Bantam mm) 12/91
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS (IM 433) 6/92
- HONEST ILLUSIONS (Putnam hc) 7/92
- CAPTIVATED (SE 768) 9/92 s – Donovan Legacy
- DIVINE EVIL (Bantam mm) 9/92
- ENTRANCED (SE 774) 10/92 s – Donovan Legacy
- CHARMED (SE 780) 11/92 s – Donovan Legacy
- FALLING FOR RACHEL (SE 810) 4/93 s – The Stanislaskis
- PRIVATE SCANDALS (Putnam hc) 7/93
- NIGHTSHADE (IM 529) 11/93 s – Night Tales
- CONVINCING ALEX (SE 872) 3/94 s – The Stanislaskis
- THE BEST MISTAKE (Sil. Birds, Bees and Babies) 5/94 Novella
- HIDDEN RICHES (Putnam hc) 7/94
- NIGHT SMOKE (IM 595) 10/94 s – Night Tales
- BORN IN FIRE (Jove mm) 10/94 s – Born in trilogy
- ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS (Sil. Christmas) 11/94 Novella
- THE RETURN OF RAFE MACKADE (IM 631) 4/95 s – MacKade Brothers
- NAKED IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 7/95 s – In Death #1
- BORN IN ICE (Jove mm) 8/95 s – Born in Trilogy
- TRUE BETRAYALS (Putnam hc) 9/95
- THE PRIDE OF JARED MACKADE (SE 1000) 12/95 s – The MacKade Brothers
- GLORY IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 12/95 s – In Death #2
- BORN IN SHAME (Jove mm) 1/96 s – Born in Trilogy
- THE HEART OF DEVIN MACKADE (IM 697) 3/96 s – The MacKade Brothers
- MONTANA SKY (Putnam hc) 3/96
- THE FALL OF SHANE MACKADE (SE 1022) 4/96 s – The MacKade Brothers
- IMMORTAL IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 7/96 s – In Death #3
- DARING TO DREAM (Jove mm) 8/96 s – Dream Trilogy
- RAPTURE IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 10/96 s – In Death #4
- MEGAN'S MATE (IM 754) 11/96 s – The Calhoun Women
- HOLDING THE DREAM (Jove mm) 1/97 s – Dream Trilogy
- WAITING FOR NICK (SE 1088) 3/97 s – The Stanislaskis
- SANCTUARY (Putnam hc) 3/97
- CEREMONY IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 5/97 s – In Death #5
- FINDING THE DREAM (Jove mm) 7/97 s – Dream Trilogy
- HIDDEN STAR (IM 811) 10/97 s – Stars of Mithra
- VENGEANCE IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 10/97 s – In Death #6
- THE MACGREGOR BRIDES (Silhouette mm) 11/97 s – The MacGregors
- CAPTIVE STAR (IM 823) 12/97 s -- Stars of Mithra
- SEA SWEPT (Jove mm) 1/98 s – Chesapeake Bay Saga
- SECRET STAR (IM 835) 2/98 s -- Stars of Mithra
- HOMEPORT (Putnam hc) 3/98
- ONCE UPON A CASTLE
- featuring Spellbound (Jove mm) 3/98 Novella
- HOLIDAY IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 6/98 s – In Death #7
- RISING TIDES (Jove mm) 8/98 s -- Chesapeake Bay Saga
- THE REEF (Putnam hc) 9/98
- THE WINNING HAND (SE 1202) 10/98 s – The MacGregors
- SILENT NIGHT
- featuring Midnight in Death (Berkley mm) 11/99 In Death novella
- THE MACGREGOR GROOMS (Silhouette mm) 11/98 s – The MacGregors
- INNER HARBOR (Jove mm) 1/99 s -- Chesapeake Bay saga
- THE PERFECT NEIGHBOR (SE 1232) 3/99 s – The MacGregors
- RIVER’S END (Putnam hc) 3/99
- CONSPIRACY IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 4/99 s – In Death #8
- LOYALTY IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 10/99 s – In Death #9
- ENCHANTED (IM 961) 11/99 s – Donovan Legacy
- JEWELS OF THE SUN 11/99 s – Gallaghers of Ardmore
- ONCE UPON A STAR
- featuring Ever After (Jove mm) 12/99 Novella
- CAROLINA MOON (Putnam hc) 3/00
- WITNESS IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 3/00 s – In Death #10
- IRISH REBEL (SE 1328) 6/00 s – Irish Hearts
- TEARS OF THE MOON (Jove mm) 7/00 s – Galllagerhs of Ardmore
- NIGHT SHIELD (IM 1327) 9/00 s – Night Tales
- JUDGMENT IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 9/00 s – In Death #11
- ONCE UPON A DREAM
- featuring In Dreams 11/00 Novella
- HEART OF THE SEA (Jove mm) 12/00 s – Gallaghers of Ardmore
- CONSIDERING KATE (SE 1379) 2/01 s – The Stanislaskis
- BETRAYAL IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 3/01 s – In Death #12
- THE VILLA (Putnam hc) 3/01
- DANCE UPON THE AIR (Jove mm) 6/01 s – Three Sisters Island
- OUT OF THIS WORLD
- featuring Interlude in Death (Berkley mm) 8/01 In Death novella
- SEDUCTION IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 9/01 s – In Death #13
- MIDNIGHT BAYOU (Putnam hc) 10/01
- ONCE UPON A ROSE
- featuring Winter Rose (Jove mm) 10/01 Novella
- HEAVEN AND EARTH (Jove mm) 12/01 s – Three Sisters Island
- CORDINA’S CROWN JEWEL (SE 1448) 2/02 s – Cordina’s Royal Family
- REUNION IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 3/02 s – In Death #14
- THREE FATES (Putnam hc) 4/02
- FACE THE FIRE (Jove mm) 6/02 s – Three Sisters Island
- RITY IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 8/02 s – In Death #15
- CHESAPEAKE BLUE (Putnam hc) 11/02 s – Chesapeake Bay Saga
- ONCE UPON A KISS
- featuring A World Apart (Jove mm—anthology) 12/02 Novella
- PORTRAIT IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 2/03 s – In Death #16
- BIRTHRIGHT (Putnam hc) 3/03
- IMITATION IN DEATH (Berkley mm) 8/03 s – In Death #17
- REMEMBER WHEN (Putnam hc) 9/03 s – In Death
- ONCE UPON A MIDNIGHT
- featuring The Witching Hour (Jove mm) 10/03 Novella
- KEY OF LIGHT (Jove mm) 11/03 s – Key Trilogy
- KEY OF KNOWLEDGE (Jove mm) 12/03 s – Key Trilogy
- KEY OF VALOR (Jove mm) 1/04 s – Key Trilogy
- DIVIDED IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 1/04 s – In Death #18
- VISIONS IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 8/04 s – In Death #19
- NORTHERN LIGHTS (Putnam hc) 10/04
- MOON SHADOWS
- featuring Wolf Moon (Jove mm) 10/04 Novella
- BLUE DAHLIA (Jove mm) 11/04 s – In the Garden Trilogy
- SURVIVOR IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 2/05 s – In Death #20
- BLACK ROSE (Jove mm) 6/05 s – In the Garden Trilogy
- ORIGIN IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 7/05 s – In Death #21
- BLUE SMOKE (Putnam hc) 10/05
- RED LILY (Jove mm) 12/05 s – In the Garden Trilogy
- MEMORY IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 1/06 s – In Death #22
- BUMP IN THE NIGHT
- featuring Haunted in Death (Berkley mm) 4/06 In Death novella
- ANGELS FALL (Putnam hc) 7/06
- MORRIGAN”S CROSS (Jove mm) 9/06 s – The Circle Trilogy
- DANCE OF THE GODS (Jove mm) 10/06 s – The Circle Trilogy
- VALLEY OF SILENCE (Jove mm) 11/06 s – The Circle Trilogy
- BORN IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 11/06 s – In Death #23
- INNOCENT IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 2/07 s – In Death #24
- HIGH NOON (Putnam hc) 7/07
- DEAD OF NIGHT
- featuring Eternity in Death (Berkley mm) 10/07 In Death novella
- BLOOD BROTHERS (Jove mm) 11/07 s – The Sign of Seven Trilogy
- CREATION IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 11/07 s – In Death #25
- STRANGERS IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 2/08 s – In Death #26
- THE HOLLOW (Jove mm) 5/08 s – The Sign of Seven Trilogy
- TRIBUTE (Putnam hc) 7/08
- THE PAGAN STONE (Jove mm) 11/08 s – The Sign of Seven Trilogy
- SALVATION IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 11/08 s – In Death #27
- SUITE 606
- featuring Ritual in Death (Berkley mm) 11/08 In Death novella
- PROMISES IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 2/09 s – In Death #28
- VISION IN WHITE (Putnam trade) 5/09 s – The Bride Quartet
- BLACK HILLS (Putnam hc) 7/09
- BED OF ROSES (Putnam trade) 10/09 s – The Bride Quartet
- KINDRED IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 11/09 s – In Death #29
- THE LOST
- featuring Missing in Death (Berkley mm) 12/09 In Death novella
- FANTASY IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 2/10 s – In Death #30
- SAVOR THE MOMENT (Putnam trade) 5/10 s – The Bride Quartet
- THE SEARCH (Putnam hc) 7/10
- INDULGENCE IN DEATH (Putnam hc) 11/10 s – In Death #31
- THE OTHER SIDE
- featuring an In Death novella (Berkley mm) 11/10 In Death novella
- HAPPY EVER AFTER (Putnam trade) 11/10 s – The Bride Quartet
Key SR: Silhouette Romance SE: Silhouete Special Edition IM: Silhouette Intimate Moments SD: Silhouette Desire HH: Harlequin Historicals HI: Harlequin Intrigue mm: mass-market paperback hc: hard cover
- Magic Moments: 1989
- Sanctuary: 2001
- Angels Fall: 2007
- Montana Sky: 2007
- Carolina Moon: 2007
- Blue Smoke: 2007
- Northern Lights: 2009
- Midnight Bayou: 2009
- High Noon: 2009
- Tribute: 2009
- Carnal Innocence: 2011
Lifetime Movie Channel
Several of Roberts' books, have been adapted into made-for-TV movies and aired on Lifetime.
The 2007 Collection featured:
The 2009 Collection featured:
Peter Guber's Mandalay TV and Stephanie Germain Prods., produced the eight adaptations.
As Nora Roberts
Golden Medallion awards
- The Heart's Victory: 1983 Golden Medallion for Best Contemporary Sensual Romance
- Untamed: 1984 Golden Medallion for Best Traditional Romance
- This Magic Moment: 1984 Golden Medallion for Best Contemporary 65–80,000 words, shared with Deirdre Mardn's Destiny's Sweet Errand
- Opposites Attract: 1985 Golden Medallion for Best Short Contemporary Romance
- A Matter of Choice: 1985 Golden Medallion for Best Long Contemporary Series Romance
- One Summer: 1987 Golden Medallion for Best Long Contemporary Series Romance
- Brazen Virtue: 1989 Golden Medallion for Best Suspense
- Night Shift: 1992 RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense
- Divine Evil: 1993 RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense
- Nightshade: 1994 RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense
- Private Scandals: 1994 RITA Award for Best Contemporary Single Title
- Hidden Riches: 1995 RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense
- Born in Ice: 1996 RITA Award for Best Contemporary Single Title
- Born in Ice: 1996 RITA Award for Best Romance of 1995
- Carolina Moon: 2001 RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense
- Three Fates: 2003 RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense
- Remember When – Part 1: 2004 RITA Award for Best Romantic Suspense
- Birthright: 2004 RITA Award for Best Contemporary Single Title
- Tribute: 2009 RITA Award Best Novel with Strong Romantic Elements
- Angels Fall: 2006 Book of the year
- Angels Fall: 2006 Romance
- Blue Smoke: 2007 Romance
As J.D. Robb
- Survivor in Death: 2006 RITA Awards Romantic Suspense winner
- New York to Dallas: 2012 RITA Awards Best Romantic Suspense winner
Many of Roberts' novels have been, or will be, reissued. To avoid confusion, all of Roberts' new releases include a logo that is a circle with the initials "NR" inside, indicating that the book has never been published before.
- Clark, Blanche (November 30, 2010), "'The $60 million woman'", Herald Sun, retrieved December 6, 2010
- Vernon, Cheril (July 22, 2007), "'Queen of Romance' still going strong", Palestine Herald-Press, retrieved August 8, 2007
- Irish Times May 12, 2007
- Weiner, Debbie (March 10, 2000). "Author Nora Roberts". BookReporter. Retrieved August 9, 2007.
- House, Jeanny (October 1998). "Author Nora Roberts October 1998". BookReporter. Retrieved August 9, 2007.
- "Senior picture from Blair High School 1968 Silverlogue Yearbook". Itsallaboutfamily.com. Retrieved 2013-03-17.
- Kloberdanz, Kristin (March–April 2002). "Meet the Authors – Nora Roberts|Book Magazine". Retrieved August 10, 2007.
- Quinn, Judy (February 23, 1998), "Nora Roberts: A Celebration of Emotions", Publishers Weekly, retrieved December 25, 2006[dead link]
- "Turn the Page Bookstore". Ttpbooks.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- La Gorce, Tammy (April 29, 2010). "Maryland's Civil War Country Seeks a Softer Side". The New York Times. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- Nuckols, Ben (August 22, 2006), "Nora Roberts, 9-to-5 storyteller: Her writing output and sales are huge, her work is routine", The Record (Bergen County, New Jersey): F07
- Nuckols, Ben (August 7, 2006). "For Romance Titan Roberts, Writing Novels is a 9-to-5 Job". WTOP News. Retrieved August 9, 2007.
- Gold, Laurie; Linda Mowery (September 22, 1997). "Nora Roberts on her MacGregor Series". All About Romance. Retrieved August 9, 2007.
- Schendel, Jennifer (November 15, 2001). "The Appeal of the Romance Series". All About Romance. Retrieved August 9, 2007.
- "Suns release 2007 promotional schedule". milb.com. 2 April 2007. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers from Nora Roberts, archived from the original on 2012-02-18, retrieved August 4, 2007
- "Author Nora Roberts". Nora Roberts. Archived from the original on July 14, 2007. Retrieved August 4, 2007.
- Elley, Karen Trotter (2002). "Nora Roberts deals with destiny in Three Fates". Book Page. Retrieved August 9, 2007.
- Regis, pages 183–184
- Regis, p 159
- Nora Roberts on writing, archived from the original on July 14, 2007, retrieved August 6, 2007
- Wehr, Isolde (April 2000). "Interview with Nora Roberts". Die Buecherecke Romantische. Archived from the original on July 5, 2007. Retrieved August 9, 2007.
- Maryles, Daisy (February 9, 2004), "Nora's Newbies", Publishers Weekly, retrieved August 9, 2007[dead link]
- Regis, p 184.
- Maryles, Daisy (September 10, 2001), "Roberts Scores with Mass Turnover", Publishers Weekly, retrieved August 9, 2007[dead link]
- "Did You Know?". Nora Roberts Official Website. March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "RWA Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award". Romance Writers of America. 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "RITA Awards: Past Winners". Romance Writers of America. 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Andriani, Lynn (January 29, 2007), "Romance Blossoms Between Nora Roberts and Lifetime", Publishers Weekly, retrieved August 9, 2007[dead link]
- Holt, Karen (May 14, 2007), "Roberts, Mitchell Make Time's List", Publishers Weekly, retrieved August 9, 2007[dead link]
- Wilson, Jeff (July 30, 1997), "Romance novelist Janet Dailey apologizes for plagiarism", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Standora, Leo (August 27, 1997), "Romance Writer Janet Dailey Sued", New York Daily News, retrieved November 18, 2008
- "All About Romance: A 2001 Update in the Janet Dailey/Nora Roberts Plagiarism Case". Likesbooks.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "All About Romance: A 2001 Update in the Janet Dailey/Nora Roberts Plagiarism Case". Likesbooks.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Plagiarism paid for", The Victoria Advocate, April 17, 1998, retrieved November 18, 2008[dead link]
- Tan, Candy; Wendell, Sarah (January 11, 2008). "A centralized document for the Cassie Edwards situation". Smart Bitches. Retrieved July 20, 2009.
- Lundin, Leigh (May 11, 2008). "The Case of the Purloined Prose". Scandal Sheets. Criminal Brief. Retrieved July 20, 2009.
- "The 30 Most Generous Celebrities". Forbes. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Gray, Mark (2013-01-14). "Oprah Winfrey, Nora Roberts, Meryl Streep Lead Celebrity Charity List". People.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "The Nora Roberts Center for American Romance | McDaniel College". Mcdaniel.edu. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Interview: Nora Roberts talks about her passions - USATODAY.com". Books.usatoday.com. 2011-10-21. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- [dead link]
- Romance Writers of America: National Contests and Awards, retrieved November 15, 2007
- RITA Awards: Past Winners, retrieved November 25, 2012
- The Quill Awards, retrieved November 23, 2007
- J.D. Robb in Fantastic Fiction's, retrieved September 26, 2007
- Memmott, Carol (July 12, 2005), "Prolific Nora Roberts publishes 159th novel", USAToday: 04D.
- Little, Denise and Laura Hayden, The Official Nora Roberts Companion, Berkley Books, 2003, ISBN 0-425-18344-0.
- Lennard, John, 'Of Pseudonyms and Sentiment: Nora Roberts, J. D. Robb, and the Imperative Mood', in Of Modern Dragons and other essays on Genre Fiction (Tirril: Humanities-Ebooks, 2007), pp. 56–86. ISBN 978-1-84760-038-7
- Regis, Pamela (2003), A Natural History of the Romance Novel, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: University of Pennsylvania Press, pp. 183–184, ISBN 0-8122-3303-4
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nora Roberts.|
- Official website
- Official UK website
- InDeath.net J.D. Robb Fan Forum – includes an In Death Fan Fiction Database and an In Death Wiki Database
- Memmott, Carol (February 11, 2009). "Nora Roberts' romantic inn". USA Today.