Elect the Dead
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
|Elect the Dead|
|Studio album by Serj Tankian|
|Released||October 22, 2007|
|Recorded||The Pass Los Angeles, CA|
|Genre||Neo-prog, progressive metal, alternative rock|
|Label||Serjical Strike, Reprise|
|Serj Tankian chronology|
Special Edition cover.
|Singles from Elect the Dead|
Elect the Dead is the 2007 debut album by rock musician Serj Tankian, lead singer and founding member of Armenian-American metal quartet System of a Down. Alongside Tankian appear Armenian-American coloratura Ani Maldjian, drummers John Dolmayan from System of a Down and B. Brain Mantia of Primus and Guns N' Roses, Dan Monti on guitars, and a string section featuring Antonio Pontarelli.
The initial single from the album was a 2-track promo including "Empty Walls" and "The Unthinking Majority", released on September 10. Tankian immediately appeared on MTV's "You Rock The Deuce" program. Meanwhile a music-video of "Feed Us" was released in Sweden and on UK MTV. The album was released October 22, 2007, and opened at #4 with 66,000 USA units sold according to the Billboard 200 trade listing. By September 2010 the album had sold 319,000 copies total.
Music-videos of the album's songs were each filmed by discrete directors. Tankian revealed: "I asked each of the directors for their visual interpretation of my work. They were asked not to write treatments and that they could make whatever they liked. The results have been overwhelmingly amazing". Initially some videos were released as 'limited edition' premiums. All videos were later freely offered on Tankian's website and his YouTube channel. Some of these "official videos" were alternate versions released one version at a time- suggesting incrementally evolving narrative.
Collectible versions of the album include an instrumental disk offered by Serjical Strike/Reprise Records; and the "final master" from Reprise intended for specific journalists and reviewers. That embargoed disk was labeled "Smart Talk" [a coded reference to the artist's own name]. Previously an undated, un-mastered 'Smart Talk' promo featured these same 'final versions' of the songs; but the sequence of tracks ten and eleven was juxtaposed.
Tankian stated that some of these songs were new, and others had developed earlier. An acoustic version of "Blue" was released on the album's 'special edition bonus disc'. The original version appeared on System Of A Down's fourth demo tape but had not been recorded otherwise.
|“||It's very wide sounding — lots of different sounding instruments. The excitement I had making this record was the same excitement I had making the first System record.||”|
An Elect the Dead tour commenced October 12, 2007 at Chicago's Vic Theater. Tankian cautioned fans this production featured a new band 'The F.C.C.' (aka Flying Cunts of Chaos) which was not promoting the System of a Down material. They did however perform "Charades"- written with System bandmate Daron Malakian. A recording of this tour titled Elect the Dead Symphony was released February 23, 2010 in the USA.
All songs written and composed by Serj Tankian.
|2.||"The Unthinking Majority"||3:46|
|6.||"Sky Is Over"||2:57|
|9.||"Lie Lie Lie"||3:33|
|10.||"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"||4:23|
|12.||"Elect the Dead"||2:54|
|Special Edition bonus disc|
|2.||"Empty Walls" (Acoustic)||3:46|
|3.||"Feed Us" (Acoustic)||4:21|
|iTunes and Japanese version bonus tracks|
|13.||"The Reverend King"||2:49|
- All Songs Written & Performed by Serj Tankian (guitars, bass, piano, vocals, synthesizers, drum programming, melodica, bells, and various tone generating beauties) - Stunning Suppository Sounds (BMI)
- All songs recorded at Serjical Strike Studios
- Produced by Serj Tankian
- Engineered by Dan Monti & Serj Tankian
- Mastered by Vlado Meller at Sony Music Studios in New York, NY
- A&R Craig Aaronson & George Tonikian
- Original Artwork Provided by Sako Shahinian
- Album Packaging Design by Sako Shahinian
- Digipack Album Packaging Design by Keith Aazami
- Photography by Greg Watermann
- Worldwide Management Dave Holmes and Darin Harmon
- Booking (US) Don Muller at CAA
- Booking (Europe) Emma Banks at CAA
- Legal Don Passman and Gene Salomon at Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown, Inc.
- Business Management David Weise at DW & Associates
|2007||Top Canadian Albums||
|The Billboard 200||
|Austrian Albums Top 75||
|German Albums Top 75||
|Swiss Albums Top 100||
|Finland Albums Top 40||
|New Zealand Albums Chart||
|ARIA Top 50 (Australia)||
|France Albums Top 150||
|UK Albums Chart||
|JAPAN Oricon Albums Chart||
- Spence D. "Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead Review - Music Review at IGN". Music.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- SERJ TANKIAN Paints Grim Picture With 'Sky Is Over' - Jan. 16, 2008
- "Elect The Dead". Metacritic.
- "Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead - Album Review". AbsolutePunk.
- "Elect the Dead - Serj Tankian". Allmusic.
- http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/content_display/reviews/albums/e3i7b7f6bee78014d1741a570207ff7cd8d[dead link]
- "CG: serj". Robert Christgau.
- "Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead Review". IGN.
- "Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead Review". Music Emissions.
- Serj Tankian biography on SOADFans fansite
- Swedish MTV
- UK MTV
- "Blabbermouth.Net - Serj Tankian, Rob Zombie, Soilwork, Exodus, Skindred First-Week Sales Revealed". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Upcoming Releases". HITS Daily Double. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- System of a Down Frontman To Post Videos For Each Track On Forthcoming Solo Album
- Picture of the Elect The Dead promo CD-R