Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009
The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 (No. 4/2009) is a law of Ireland which provided for parliamentary constituencies for the 31st Dáil Éireann. The 31st Dáil was elected at the 2011 general election in March 2011.
This Act replaced the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005, which defined the constituencies used for the 30th Dáil (elected in 2007). The 2007 report of the Constituency Commission, an independent body established by the Government of Ireland to review constituency boundaries, proposed several changes to Dáil constituencies. These changes were provided for by the Act.
Summary of changes
This table below, summarises the changes in representation. It does not address revisions to the boundaries of constituencies.
|Dublin West||1981||4||gains 1 seat|
|Dún Laoghaire||1977||4||loses 1 seat|
|Kerry North–West Limerick||2011||3||new constituency|
|Limerick City||2011||4||new constituency|
|Louth||1923||5||gains 1 seat|
There were further boundary changes to 18 constituencies, these were: Cork East, Cork North–Central, Cork North–West, Donegal North–East, Donegal South–West, Dublin North, Dublin North–Central, Dublin North–East, Dublin South, Kerry South, Kildare North, Kildare South, Laois–Offaly, Meath East, Meath West, Roscommon–South Leitrim, Sligo–North Leitrim and Tipperary North.
List of constituencies for the 31st Dáil
Explanation of columns
- No.: The number of the constituency (in alphabetical order).
- Constituency: The name of the constituency. Compass points follow the area name in this list, which is not always the case in the official version of the name.
- Created: The year of the election when a constituency of the same name was last created.
- Seats: The number of TDs elected from the constituency under the Act.
- Change: Change in the number of seats since the last distribution of seats (which took effect in 2007).
|21||Dublin West||1981||4||plus 1|
|22||Dún Laoghaire||1977||4||minus 1|
|25||Kerry North–West Limerick||2011||3||plus 3|
|31||Limerick City||2011||4||plus 4|
|Kerry North||1937||3||minus 3|
|Limerick East||1948||5||minus 5|
|Limerick West||1948||3||minus 3|
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish general election timetable
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Report on Dáil and European Parliament Constituencies 2007". Constituency Commission. 23 October 2007. Retrieved 14 June 2008.