Electoral district of Miranda
New South Wales—Legislative Assembly
Location of Miranda in Sydney
|State||New South Wales|
|Party||Australian Labor Party|
|Area||27 km2 (10.4 sq mi)|
A central Sutherland Shire electorate, Miranda crosses the peninsula between the Georges River and Port Hacking. It includes the suburbs of Como, Bonnet Bay, Oyster Bay, Kareela, Kirrawee, Gymea, Gymea Bay, Grays Point and parts of Sylvania, Miranda and Jannali. The seat's federal equivalent is in the western half of the Division of Cook.
Created in 1971, Miranda had traditionally been a Liberal electorate, being won by Labor only at landslide elections, two under Neville Wran in 1978 and 1981, and again under Bob Carr in 1999 and 2003. According to ABC psephologist Antony Green, the seat should have been recovered by the Liberals in 2007 but was narrowly retained by Labor. On a margin of 0.8 percent it was the Labor government's most marginal seat. In 2011 the Liberals won government in a landslide, and the seat of Miranda on a very safe 21.0 percent margin, with 39 seats held by the Coalition on smaller margins.
The seat was made vacant following the resignation of Liberal MP Graham Annesley. The 2013 Miranda by-election was conducted on 19 October, Labor's Barry Collier won the seat with a two-party swing of 26 percent in the largest by-election swing in the state's history. He will not stand for re-election at the 2015 NSW State election.
Members for Miranda
|Miranda state by-election, 2013|
|Christian Democrats||George Capsis||2,840||7.0||+3.5|
|Total formal votes||40,476||98.0||+0.7|
|Labor gain from Liberal||Swing||+26.1|
- "Miranda State By-election". Antony Green ABC. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Labor's Barry Collier returns to NSW Parliament after record swing against O'Farrell Government in Miranda by-election: Antony Green ABC News 19 October 2013
- Collier exits again - Miranda MP calls it quits 'for wife and family' St George Leader 16 October 2014
- 2013 Miranda by-election results: NSW EC
- 2013 Miranda by-election results: Antony Green ABC
- 2013 Miranda by-election results commentary: Antony Green ABC
- 2013 Miranda by-election results: Poll Bludger