|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
Named after a Soviet refrigerator and the Roland SH-101 synthesizer, the band was composed of four electronic composers and producers from Birmingham (Brian Nordhoff, Joe Stevens, Les Fleming, and Roberto Cimarosti) and a female vocalist from Hamburg, Germany (Billie Ray Martin).
Before signing with Mercury/PolyGram Records in 1988, the group released its first single, "Talking With Myself," without much success. However, before its next single release, Martin guested with Eric Robinson of Eric and the Good Good Feeling on the S'Express record "Hey, Music Lover."
The Top 10 success of "Hey, Music Lover" sparked interest from the music press in Martin's band, although Eric and the Good Good Feeling's album flopped. Electribe 101 signed with Mercury/PolyGram Records, and its single "Tell Me When The Fever Ended" was issued. It reached number 32 in the UK Singles Chart.
In 1990 Electribe 101 released its debut album, Electribal Memories. The group also re-released its single "Talking With Myself," which reached #23 on the UK Singles Chart. In late 1990, the band released its version of the Jesse Rae song "Inside Out" (a hit for Odyssey) and toured as support act for Depeche Mode.
As the group started work on recording its second album, the band members had differences of opinion with Mercury and tensions grew between the members. The label refused to release its second album and Electribe 101 split in early 1992. Not wanting to continue under the name Electribe 101 without Martin, who decided to embark on a solo career, the band renamed itself the Groove Corporation and signed with the Network Records subsidiary label Six6.
- Billie Ray Martin
- Joe Stevens
- Les Fleming
- Roberto Cimarosti
- Brian Nordhoff
- "Talking With Myself" - (Mercury/PolyGram Records) 1988
- "Tell Me When The Fever Ended" - (Mercury/PolyGram Records) 1989 UK #32
- "Talking With Myself" - (Mercury/PolyGram Records) 1990 UK #23
- "You're Walking" - (Mercury/PolyGram Records) 1990 UK #50
- "Inside Out" - (Mercury/PolyGram Records) 1990
- "Rain" as 'The Groove Corporation' - (Six6/Network Records) 1994 #72
- "Talking With Myself" (1998 remix) - (Mercury/PolyGram Records) 1998 UK #39
- Electribal Memories (Mercury/PolyGram Records) 1990 UK #26 - reissued as The Best of Electribe 101 featuring Billie Ray Martin in 2002.
- Co-operation - as the Groove Corporation (Six6/Network Records) 1994