Electric Shock (EP)
|EP by f(x)|
|Released||June 10, 2012|
|Producer||Lee Soo Man|
|Singles from Electric Shock|
Electric Shock is the second studio extended play (EP) by South Korean girl group f(x). The EP was released digitally on June 10, 2012, and released physically on June 13, 2012, under S.M. Entertainment. The EP's title track, "Electric Shock", as well as the EP, reached at the top spot on the weekly Gaon Charts. The EP sold a total of more than 70,000 copies in South Korea.
The EP's single and title track, "Electric Shock", is an electronic-dance song. The lyrics starting each line with the word, "jeongichunggyeok" ("electric shock" in English). It was written and arranged by Willem Laseroms, Maarten Ten Hove and Joachim Vermeulen Windsant, and produced by Future Presidents. The music video was released on June 11, 2012, and was choreographed by Jillian Meyers.
Composed by SM Entertainment's songwriter Kenzie, the track "Jet" has hip-hop rhythms and electronic dance; Amber co-wrote the rap.
The track "Zig Zag" was especially produced to focus on the "youthful and refreshing blend of vocals" of f(x) members which adds to the urban electronic sound created by the use of electric guitars and drum beats. The track was composed and written by music producer Hitchhiker. The lyrics were penned by Kim Bumin who often works closely with Hitchhiker.
The track "Beautiful Stranger" features Amber, Luna and Krystal only, and has an urban and hip-hop feel. The vocals and high notes are provided by Luna and Krystal, while Amber raps. The piece has a heavy drum beat synth and percussion performed through electric guitars. The chorus has groove bass lines. The song was composed by a team of music producers that included Aminata 'Amy' Gabba, Jason Gill, and songwriter Mich Hansen ("Cutfather").
On June 5, 2012, the Electric Shock EP was released digitally in Korea and globally. f(x) began promotions for the title track, "Electric Shock", on M.net's M! Countdown on June 14 and also performed "Jet" as part of a special performance. They went on to perform "Electric Shock" on programs such as Music Bank, Show! Music Core, Inkigayo and M! Countdown. "Electric Shock" won a total of 9 first-place trophies on these shows.
On January 22, 2013, the song "Electric Shock" was voted by Korean music industry professionals as number 4 song on a list of the top 10 songs domestic songs of 2012., and the Electric Shock EP as 8th in the top 10 domestic albums of the year.
At the press conference for 10th Annual Korean Music Awards on January 29, 2013, it was announced that the songs "Electric Shock" and "Jet" were both nominated for Best Dance and Electronic Song. In regards to two songs by the same artist being nominated in the same category, a representative of the KMAs stated, "This is due to the corresponding songs having excellent music reviews and rather than disregarding them because they are from the same artist, we chose to recognize their excellence". "Electric Shock" won the award.
The Electric Shock EP topped the Gaon Album Chart in its first week of release. The title track debuted at number one on the Gaon Digital Chart, selling 630,510 copies in its first week. It then fell to number three selling 285,501 copies the following week. By the end of 2012, the record had sold 74,694 copies, and the title track 2,150,840 digital copies.
|1.||"Electric Shock"||Seo Ji-eum||Willem Laseroms, Maarten Ten Hove, Joachim Vermeulen Windsant||Willem Laseroms, Maarten Ten Hove, Joachim Vermeulen Windsant||03:15|
|2.||"제트별 (Jet)" (Jet Star, Jeteu Byeol)||Kenzie||Kenzie||Kenzie||03:21|
|3.||"지그재그" (Zig Zag; Jigeu Jaegeu)||Kim Boo-min||Hitchhiker||Hitchhiker||03:46|
|4.||"Beautiful Stranger" (f(Amber+Luna+Krystal))||Misfit||Aminata Gabba ("A*M*E"), Jason Gill, Mich Hansen ("Cutfather")||Lim Kwang-wook, Polar Monkeys||04:06|
|5.||"Love Hate"||Misfit||Si Hulbert, Amy Richardson, Hannah Phaisey, Karen Ann Poole||Si Hulbert, Amy Richardson, Hannah Phaisey, Karen Ann Poole||03:10|
|6.||"훌쩍 (Let’s Try)" (Huljjeok; Swept)||Misfit||Niara Scarlett, Pete 'Boxta' Martin||Lim Kwang-wook, Jung Soo-wan||03:32|
- "Kim Bumin" (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved July 20, 2010.
- "f(x) will Release their New Mini Album ‘Electric Shock’ on the 10th at 00:00 a.m.". SMTown. June 5, 2012. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "국내노래 TOP 10". music.daum.net. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
- "국내 앨범 1-10". music.daum.net. Retrieved January 23, 2013.
- "2013". 한국대중음악상 (Korean Music Awards). Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "2012년 25주차 Album Chart". Gaon. Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on February 4, 2015. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- 2012년 25주차 Download Chart [Week 25 of 2012 Download Chart]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Archived from the original on February 5, 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- 2012년 26주차 Download Chart [Week 26 of 2012 Download Chart]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Archived from the original on February 5, 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- 2012년 Album Chart [2012 Album Chart]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Archived from the original on February 5, 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- 2012년 Download Chart [2012 Download Chart]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). KMCIA. Archived from the original on February 4, 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "CD albums weekly ranking of June 24, 2012 to June 18, 2012". Oricon. Archived from the original on October 5, 2012. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- "South Korea Gaon Album Chart". On the page, select "2014.07.06~2014.07.12" to obtain the corresponding chart. Gaon Chart Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "F(X) Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Top Heatseekers Albums for F(X). Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "F(X) Album & Song Chart History" Billboard World Albums for F(X). Retrieved February 5, 2015.