Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012
|Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012|
The Los Angeles Convention Center during E3 2012
|Venue||Los Angeles Convention Center|
|Inaugurated||June 5, 2012|
|Most recent||June 7, 2012|
|Organized by||Entertainment Software Association|
The Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012, commonly known as E3 2012, was the 18th Electronic Entertainment Expo held. E3 is an annual trade show for the computer and video games industry presented by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). The event took place June 5–7, 2012 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. E3 is used by many video game developers to present their upcoming games and game-related hardware. It was televised on Spike TV and streamed online to computers, mobile devices, PlayStation Home and on Xbox Live via IGN's application.
Prior to the show, several companies made announcements regarding their products. Nintendo unveiled a new design for the Wii U controller, known now as the Wii U GamePad, along with a slightly modified console. Each of the three major console producers have also held or planned press conferences.
Konami held its 2nd annual pre-E3 show on on May 31, 2012.
Microsoft's press conference took place on June 4, 2012 at 9:30am (PDT) in the Galen Center. It was known as "Xbox: Entertainment Evolved," in the vein of Halo: Combat Evolved. It was streamed on Xbox Live and played live on SPIKE TV.
At the conference the company showed footage from upcoming sequels Halo 4, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, and Resident Evil 6. It also showed new entries in classic franchises, including the games Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and many others. It also announced new intellectual property, including Ascend: New Gods and LocoCycle.
The company expanded its Kinect lineup with several new titles. Entertainer Usher made an appearance to demonstrate the Dance Central 3 dancing game. A castle-wrecking game called Wreckateer was also demonstrated. Matter, an Xbox 360-exclusive title for the Kinect was also shown.
Microsoft also unveiled expanded entertainment and multimedia features for the Xbox 360. The company announced new sports content partnerships, including those with the National Basketball Association, National Hockey League, and ESPN to bring their content to the console. Xbox Music was also revealed, which will carry the Xbox brand to Windows 8. The company unveiled Internet Explorer 10 for the console, which can be controlled via tablet devices. The console maker also announced Xbox SmartGlass, a technology designed to allow play experiences from mobile devices, including those running Windows 8 and Windows Phone operating systems.
Electronic Arts took the stage on June 4 at 1:00pm (PDT), showcasing ten titles or families of titles. Included were games such as Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and SimCity.
Ubisoft held a press conference on June 4 at 3:00pm (PDT), showing many titles including Assassin's Creed III, Far Cry 3, Just Dance 4, Rayman Legends, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Watch Dogs and ZombiU.
Sony's press conference took place on June 4 at 6:00pm (PDT) at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena. Sony and its partners showcased existing titles, including first party games such as God of War: Ascension, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and The Last of Us and third party games such as Assassin's Creed III and Far Cry 3.
Sony also announced a new title called Beyond: Two Souls.
Nintendo's main press conference took place on June 5 at 9:00am (PDT) in the Nokia Theatre. The company showed 23 Wii U titles, including first party games like Pikmin 3, and New Super Mario Bros. U, and third party games like Batman: Arkham City: Armored Edition, Scribblenauts: Unlimited, and ZombiU. The company also showed more casual games, including Wii Fit U and Nintendo Land.
The following day, June 6, Nintendo held a smaller "software showcase" conference based solely on the Nintendo 3DS, showcasing new content and games such as New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
List of notable exhibitors
List of notable games
- "Experience the 2012 E3 Show Live in PlayStation Home – PlayStation Blog". Blog.us.playstation.com. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- E3 2012: Xbox: Entertainment Evolved press conference can be watched on Spike or Xbox Live | GamerTell
- Xbox Press Center
- Microsoft unveils Xbox Music | E3 2012 - CNET Reviews
- E3 2012: The Big Games List - Games Feature at IGN
- E3 2012: Atlus to Publish The Testament of Sherlock Holmes in North America | DualShockers
- Dutka, Ben (2012-06-05). "Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two Earns November Launch Date". PSXExtreme.com. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Martin, Liam (2012-06-07). "E3 2012: 'Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion' releasing November". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Star Wars 1313, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 titles leaked ahead of E3 announcements | Joystiq
- Ishaan (2012-06-06). "Big Screenshots Of New Little King's Story From E3". Siliconera.com. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Ishaan (2012-06-06). "Silent Hill: Book of Memories Trailer Shows Overhead Multiplayer". Siliconera.com. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- "Game & Wario (working title) : Nintendo All-Access @ E3 2012". e3.nintendo.com. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- E3 2012: what to expect - Edge Magazine
- Road to E3: New Super Mario Bros. 2 - IGN
- Nintendo Network at E3 2012 - Games
- The Nintendo 3DS at E3 2012 - IGN
- McWhertor, Michael (2012-06-06). "Project P-100 for Wii U saves E3 with a pint-sized team of avengers". The Verge. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Nintendo Network at E3 2012 - Games
- 'Hatsune Miku' bringing synthesized vocal music gaming to North American Vita [update: not announced for North America] | Joystiq
- Ashcraft, Brian (2012-06-06). "Um, Animal Crossing? Where Are You?". Kotaku. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Ishaan (2012-06-05). "Square Enix's Demons' Score Is... An On-Rails Rhythm Shooter For Phones". Siliconera.com. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Ishaan (2012-06-05). "The Mystery Of Square Enix's Drakerider Solved, It's An iOS Game". Siliconera.com. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- Spencer (2012-06-07). "If You're A Fan Of Final Fantasy V, You Might Dig Final Fantasy Dimensions". Siliconera.com. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- E3 2012: South Park: The Stick of Truth Revealed - IGN
- French, Michael. "LEGO Lord of the Rings video game confirmed by new toy sets | Games industry news | MCV". Mcvuk.com. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- Innovation Unveiled – Confirmed Games To Be Shown at E3 2012
- Batchelor, James. "VIDEO: LEGO Lord of the Rings finally announced | Games industry news | MCV". Mcvuk.com. Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- [dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012.|