Electrosexual Dj set in 2014
|Also known as||Romain Frequency|
|Born||28 July 1980|
|Genres||French house, electro house, alternative dance, synthpop, electronica|
|Occupation(s)||Keyboardist, Singer-songwriter, record producer, musician, composer, arranger, producer, Music video director|
|Instruments||Keyboards, Vocals, guitar, percussion|
|Labels||K Records, Rock Machine Records, Das Drehmoment|
|Korg MS-10/MS-20, Moog Rogue, Roland JX-3P...|
His passion for early electronic engines and primitive sounds from Analog synthesizer inspired his creativity mingling of rough masculine basses with an uptempo rhythm. He is the electro-sex (sometimes called sex-tronica) precursor and pioneer in France. This musical genre also features artists such as Peaches, Lesbians on Ecstasy, The Ssion, Punk Bunny, Shunda K, Scream Club and Robots in Disguise, all of whom Electrosexual has worked with.
Electrosexual created its stage name in reference to surrealistic non "(human) sexuality", considering machines and synthesizers as genitors. This concept has also been developed by artists including David Cronenberg, H.R. Giger, Psychic TV and Add N to (X).
Electrosexual started his musical career in 2004 as keyboardist for the French new wave band Volksmusik. They played several shows in France and released two EP’s.
In the summer of 2005, after a show in Berlin (Sage Club) where he performed for the first time as a solo act, his song Trapped Inside was selected to be released on the fifth anniversary compilation of the cult Berlin label Das Drehmoment .
The same year, Electrosexual created his own record label Rock Machine Records (named after the 1987 novel by Norman Spinrad) as an independent platform for electronic music, parties organizing and performances.
Electrosexual offered production for the American queer hip hop duo Scream Club, mixing Electronic dance music with gender issue themed lyrics and club performances. Their first songs, one of which features vocals by Peaches, would be the very first vinyl to be released on Rock Machine in 2006. They collaborated and played live together for the next years and released two more EPs : "Break You nice/ Screaming & Crying» Featuring Shunda K was released on 2010 as a limited edition white vinyl, including remixes by Hard Ton, Leonard De Leonard and Divider. The video for the single "Break You Nice» was the first direction of Electrosexual and was broadcast on national American music channels MTV & VH1 for more several month.
In March and April 2010, Electrosexual and Scream Club were the support act for Robots in Disguise on their "Wake Up Tour" in the UK. They also performed together the "Wake Up" Electrosexual & Scream Club Remix as an encore.
Sue Denim of the Robots in Disguise recorded vocals for Electrosexual EP "Partytime" Feat. Scream Club, released as a Digi-EP, with remixes by French Hip Hop artist Flore, aMinus ...
In the end of 2010, Electrosexual released "I Feel Love" that quickly became an underground club hit. The song was referred to as "a disco neo classic" and "best song of the year 2012" by the blogosphere .
Electrosexual has remixed material by other artists, including David Carretta's "Lovely Toy", Transformer Di Roboter’s "Baghdad Disco", I Monster’s "Sucker For Your Sound", Mirah’s "Cold Cold Water", Ssion’s "Ah-Ma", Peaches Feat Scream Club "Fine As Fuck".
We can meet Electrosexual on many various events like the festival Nuits Blanche in Amiens (2007), the Paradiso (2010), at Paris's Batofar (2010) and La Machine du Moulin Rouge (2011) or in Berlin's Katerholzig, SO36 and Berghain Kantine (2013).
After a serie of single and EP's with various guest vocalists, Electrosexual releases in 2014 his debut full LP 'Art Support Machine' which is a mixture of retrofuturistic analogue electronics and kaleidoscopic synths. The album draws influence from '80s synth pop, Techno and '90s trance, and, in keeping with the vocal direction of recent records, only 4 tracks are instrumental on the whole LP.
Art Support Machine explores the Machine as the supreme vision of the human condition, and is focusing on the concept of the identity of the Machines, their gender,sexuality & Soul.
Production and equipment
Electrosexual is currently known for the strong use of analog synthesizers in his music. As he stated in an interview with Add N to (X) front woman Ann Shenton for ZOOT MAGAZINE, he uses the Korg MS-10/MS-20, Moog Rogue, Yamaha CS 5 and Roland JX-3P. Additional gear includes the Ensoniq DP4+ and multi-effects pedals.
Electrosexual has mentioned his admiration for Add N to (X), David Cronenberg, Serge Gainsbourg, Air, Jean Michel Jarre, François de Roubaix, H.R. Giger, Psychic TV, Marc Almond, David Ball, Keith Haring, Madonna, Laurent Garnier, KLF, Prince, Adult., Dopplereffekt, Drexciya, Fischerspooner, Étienne Daho, Mute Records, Scott Walker, Cabaret Voltaire, DAF, Visage, Ultravox, Fad Gadget, Front 242, Depeche Mode,and David Bowie.
|2014||Art Support Machine||The Soul of the machine, Tempelhof, Art support machine Silver soul, Fetish (ASFR), I'm your machine. (Feat.Hard Ton), The way they make you feel, Automatic people(Feat. Hanin Elias), Androgynoid, Crystal flesh, Lay my eye, Out of place, The dream of the machine.||LP Picture Disc & Digital||Rock Machine Records|
EPs and singles
|2014||Automatic People||"Automatic People (Album Version) ", "Automatic People (Millimetric Remix) ", "Automatic People (Yeti Popstar remix) ", "Automatic People (Machines In The UK remix) ", "Automatic People (Adàn & Ilse remix) "||DIGIEP||Rock Machine Records|
|2014||Tempelhof||"Tempelhof (Album Version) ", "Tempelhof (David Carretta Remix) ", "Crystal Flesh (Voxless) "||DIGIEP||Rock Machine Records|
|2013||Lay My Eye||"Lay My Eye (Edit) "||DIGIEP||Rock Machine Records|
|2013||Devolution||"Devolution (Loïs Plugged & Fruckie Remix)", "Devolution (Dualesque Remix)", "Devolution (Henning Specht Remix)", "Devolution (Tubbe Remix)"||DIGIEP||Killerrec|
|2013||Demolition||"Demolition (original Version) ", "Demolition (Machine Remix)"||DIGIEP||Rock Machine Records|
|2012||Heading For The Moon||"Heading For The Moon" "Monster" "All Is Lost" "I Don't Care" " My Time" "Summer Sun (Hot Like The Devil)"||DIGIEP||Rock Machine Records|
|2012||Discolition||"Discolition" "Discolition (Niallist RoboVogue Remix)" "Discolition (Neue Volt Remix)"||DIGIEP||Rock Machine Records|
|2011||Trapped Inside||"Trapped Inside" "Trapped Inside (Night Dub)" "Trapped Inside (Fashion Flesh Remix)"||DIGIEP||Rock Machine Records|
|2010||I Feel Love||"I Feel Love " "Play With Fire " "Discolution " "Lie To Myself " "More Than My Time "||12-inch vinyl||Rock Machine Records|
|2010||Break You Nice featuring Scream Club||"Break You Nice Hard Ton remix Feat Zoe Vermillion & Sunday luv" "Break You Nice Divider remix Feat Zoe Vermillion & Sunday luv" "Break You Nice" "Screaming And Crying Leonard De Leonard Remix Feat Zoe Vermillion & Shunda K." "Screaming And Crying Feat Zoe Vermillion & Shunda K."||12-inch White Vinyl||Rock Machine Records|
|2006||I'm Going Crazy/Fine as Fuck EP featuring Scream Club and Peaches||"Fine As Fuck" "And You Belong" "I'm Going Crazy" "Team G."||12-inch vinyl (picture disc)||Rock Machine Records|
- Billie Ray Martin & Aérea Negrot - "Off The Rails"(Electrosexual Remix)
- aMinus - "Morning After thrill" - (Electrosexual remix)
- Fantôme - "Love" (Electrosexual Remix) Cleopatra records/Rough Trade
- Republica - "Christiana Obey" (Electrosexual Remix) (unreleased)
- Transformer di Roboter- "Love Is Not Enough" (Electrosexual Remix) Leonizer Records
- Dualesque -"Uncomplicated" (Electrosexual Complicated Remix)
- Desireless & Operation Of The Sun - "Sertao" (Electrosexual Remix)
- Tubbe - "Liebe Fertig" (Electrosexual Remix) Audiolith Records
- aMinus Feat Magritte Jaco - "Don't Mind Me now" (Electrosexual Remix)
- Hedi Mohr - "Little Red" Feat. Red Noise(Electrosexual Remix) Black Mink Rec
- Tkuz - "In The Box" (Electrosexual Remix) Black Leather
- Dead Sexy Inc. - "Lonesome Poupée" (Electrosexual Remix + Le Bardot Remix)
- Equitant - "Body Vehement" (Electrosexual Remix) Black Montanas
- The Niallist - "Work It" (Electrosexual Remix)
- Steve Morell & Monika Pokorna - "Lady Pheres" (Electrosexual Remix) Pale Music International
- Peaches Feat Shunda K. - "Billionaire" (Electrosexual Remix)
- Transformer di Roboter - "Baghdad Disco" (Electrosexual Remix) Leonizer Records
- Vesto Caino - "Dolce Vita" (Electrosexual Remix) Sony/Columbia
- Minor Sailor - "Doctor Said" (Electrosexual Remix) Les Boutiques Sonores
- Robots in Disguise- "Wake Up" (Electrosexual Remix) President Records
- Fil Ok - "Listen To Me" (Electrosexual Remix) OK Music
- I Monster - "Sucker for Your Sound" (Electrosexual Remix) Twins of Evil Records
- Ssion - "Ah-Ma" (Electrosexual Remix) Sleazetone Records
- Candy Clash - "79" (Electrosexual Remix) Sister Records
- Keen K & P Muench - "Connection Flight" (Electrosexual Radionnection) Perfect Stranger Records
- Dusti - "New York Slaves" (Electrosexual Slavery) Rock Machine Records
- Mirah - "Cold Cold Water" (Electrosexual & Abberline Remix) K Records
- David Carretta - "Lovely Toy" (Electrosexual Remix) Space Factory disques
- Punk Bunny "Next Caller" & "G-Spot" (Electrosexual Remix) Crunch Records
- Lesbians on Ecstasy "Tell Me Does She Love the Bass" (Electrosexual Remix) Alien8 Recordings
- Houston Bernard "Str8 Acting" (Electrosexual Remix) MOFA Schallplatten
- Art Support Mixtape (Tracklistings 2.0)
- The Wrangeltape (Wrangelkiez))
- Long Live The New Flesh (Novafuture Blog)
- The Razortape, Vol. 1 (Rock Machine Records)
- The VogueTape, Vol. 2 (Rock Machine Records)
- The VogueTape, Vol. 1 (Rock Machine Records)
- The Rock Machine Mix Series, Vol. 1 (Rock Machine Records)
Tracks appearing on compilations
- Tempelhof (Edit) on RetroWave (Folistar)2014 ( MP3 Comp.)
- Tempelhof (David Carretta Remix) on Tsugi Sampler 70 2014 ( MP3 Comp.)
- Aussi Belle Qu'une Balle Feat. Magritte Jaco & Emmanuelle 5 on Tribute to Daniel Darc & Taxi Girl - Pleasures Unknown Records 2013 (CD Comp.)
- Demolition (Machine Remix) on Tsugi Sampler 58 2012 ( MP3 Comp.)
- I Feel Love on La Compil Jeudis Electro 2011 Feeling & Sound (Free Dropcard/ MP3 Comp.)
- Break You Nice on Nouveaux Talents Fnac Believe Digital Hiver 2010 (MP3 Comp.)
- Devolution on Toulouse Is On The Map (CD, Metal Disco Clash Records)
- Trapped Inside (Edit) on Das Drehmoment 5th Anniversary Compilation, Vol. 2 (LP, Das Drehmoment Records)
- New York Slaves Electrosexual Slavery on Music from Rock Machine (LP, Rock Machine Records)
|May 2009||Electrosexual & Scream Club BREAK YOU NICE Music Video||Director/Editor||Shot in Berlin's Wirr Warr art gallery.
Cast: The Heartbreaker:Cindy Wonderful, The Foxy Femme:Sarah Adorable, The Hedonist:Sunday The Sadist: Zoe Vermillion, and, Hank Bobbit, Aline & Vaness.
|September 2009||FAX ART||Director/Editor||Art Film Commissioned by N.Y. Bienale Art 2009|
|September 2010||Electrosexual I FEEL LOVE Music Video||Director/Editor/Himself||Shot in Berlin on March 23, August 17 and September 7 of 2010. Cast: Mz Sunday Luv: The Puppet,
Jessie Evans (singer): The Prisoner, Jay Grand: The Filmmaker, Electrosexual: The Magician .
|November 2010||Jessie Evans NINOS DEL ESPACIO Music Video||Co-Director||Shot in Berlin (Haus Of Ophelia) on November 2010. Cast:
Jessie Evans (singer), Rubbish Fairy, Lady Balloon, The Sexy Freaks Of Berlin.
|April 2011||Electrosexual & Scream Club Feat Sue Denim PARTYTIME Music Video||Director/Editor/Himself||Shot in Berlin in July 2010. Plays performance artist in collaboration with Robots in Disguise's Sue Denim & Scream Club.|
|July 2012||Electrosexual HEADING FOR THE MOON Music Video||Director||Shot in Berlin on May 2012. Cast:Electrosexual, Sigrid Elliott.|
- Ann Shenton, "Living Machines and Synthesiser Fetishism, Electrosexual Interview," Zoot Magazine, retrieved via http://www.myspace.com/electrosexual/blog/263561339, April 8, 2013.
- Electrosexual Interviewed By Ann Shenton of notorious electronica band Add N to (X) For ZOOT MAGAZINE
- Electrosexual & Scream Club Break You Nice Video Directed and edited By Electrosexual
- Fax Art Video Directed and edited By Electrosexual
- I Feel Love Video Directed and edited By Electrosexual
- Video Co-Directed by Electrosexual
- Partytime Video Directed and edited By Electrosexual
- Video Directed by Electrosexual