Element 9 (music)
|Element 9 (music)|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B|
|Country of origin||US|
Element 9 is a music company founded by Stu Pflaum in 2005. The company is based in Cleveland, Ohio and has three divisions with specializations in music publishing, digital marketing and a record label.
The Element 9 music company was launched in 2005 as a promotional outlet for aspiring hip-hop artists. The company was founded by Stu Pflaum while he was a senior at Ohio University. Pflaum formerly performed as a DJ on college radio before launching the company. Upon graduation from Ohio University, Pflaum moved the company to New York City where he split the company into two divisions, Element 9 Recordings, specializing in music publishing and Element 9.0, specializing in digital marketing.
In November 2009, the record label division, Element 9 Muzik, was formed. Shortly after, the company announced a partnership with Fontana Distribution, the independent distribution arm of Universal Music Group, for international distribution for artists signed to the label. The label division is headed by music industry veteran Tony Franklin. Stu Pflaum serves as Vice President for the label.
In November 2011, the company released Habits of the Heart by Idle Warship, which is composed of rapper Talib Kweli and singer Res. Prior to the album's official street date, the label released the album through the Spotify music service. The advance release was the first instance in which a United States based music company debuted a project far in advance using the Spotify service. The move was viewed as bold by music and technology critics and a counterweight to the release strategies of artists such as Coldplay and Adele, who had refused to make their music available through Spotify.
Awards and nominations
- Grammy Awards
- 2008: Best Rap Song: "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" (Nominated)
- "Opportunities for Hip-Hop". CoolBusinessIdeas.com. 2005-08-19. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- "Former resident nominated for Grammy". Hudsonhubtimes.com. 2008-02-06. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- "Fontana Signs Deal With Element 9 Muzik". AllAccess.com. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- "FONTANA PARTNERS WITH ELEMENT 9 MUZIK". Universal Music. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Strong Arm Steady - Arms & Hammers CD". Access Hip Hop. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
- Evans, Brenda (2011-02-03). "Alum’s label poised for big hip-hop releaseAlum’s label poised for big hip-hop release". Athensnews.com. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Reviews - Idle Warship". FILTER Magazine. 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Lefsetz Letter » Blog Archive » E-Mail Of The Day". Lefsetz.com. 2011-10-26. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Talib Kweli and Res' Idle Warship Project Debuts on Spotify Three Weeks Before Release". Billboard.biz. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2012-02-01.
|This article about a United States record label is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|