|Province (Oblast)||Veliko Tarnovo|
|Admin. centre (Obshtinski tsentar)||Elena|
|• Total||671.39 km2 (259.23 sq mi)|
|Population (December 2009)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Elena Municipality (Bulgarian: Община Елена) is a municipality (obshtina) in Veliko Tarnovo Province, Central-North Bulgaria, located on the northern slopes of the central Stara planina mountain in the area of the so-called Fore-Balkan. It is named after its administrative centre, the town of Elena. It includes a territory of 671,39 km² with a population of 10,407 inhabitants, as of December 2009.
The area is best known for its Bulgarian National Revival atmosphere preserved in its main town. Chumerna peak (1536 meters above sea level) in the Elena-Tvarditsa range is the highest point in the province.
(towns are shown in bold):
The following table shows the change of the population during the last four decades.
|Sources: Census 2001, Census 2011, „pop-stat.mashke.org“,|
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian provinces and municipalities in 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian towns in 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian villages under 1000 inhabitants - December 2009
- (English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian Settlements 1000-5000 inhabitants - December 2009
- National Statistical Institute - Census 2001
- "Population of Bulgarian divisions". Pop-stat.mashke.org. 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- Official website (English)