|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
Eleni Karaindrou (Greek: Ελένη Καραΐνδρου) (born 1941) is a Greek composer, born in the village of Teichio in Phocis, Central Greece, on November 25, 1941. She is best known for scoring the films of director Theo Angelopoulos.
She moved with her family to Athens when she was eight years old and she studied piano and theory at the Hellenikon Odeion (Hellenic Conservatory). She also attended history and archaeology classes at the university. In 1967 with the Greek military junta of 1967–1974 she moved to Paris where she studied Ethnomusicology and Orchestration and she improvised with Jazz musicians. Then she began to compose popular songs.
In 1974 she returned to Athens where she established a laboratory for traditional instruments and collaborated with the department of Ethnomusicology of the radio. In 1976 she discovered ECM Records, which was at the time the synonym for in depth research, creative richness and freedom for musical schemes. This was a period of high productivity for her. It was at this time she was introduced to music for the theater and the cinema. She stated that this exposure to cinema was a new beginning from where her own personal style emerged and where the relationship between images and movements created a new space for her expression of emotions.
Her first Soundtrack album was released in 1979 for the movie Periplanissi by Chistoforos Christofis. In 1982 she won the Thessaloniki International Film Festival and was noticed by Theo Angelopoulos, the president of the committee. They collaborated in the last eight films of the Greek director from 1984 to 2008.
Karaidrou is very prolific. Until 2008 she had composed music for 18 full-length movies, 35 theatrical productions and 11 Serials and Television film. She has also worked with Chris Marker, Jules Dassin and Margarethe von Trotta. A musician of extraordinary sensibility, she received in 1992 the Premio Fellini by Europa cinema.
- Medea - ECM 2014
- Concert in Athens (live) - ECM 2013
- Dust of Time - ECM 2009
- The 10 (Greek TV: "το 10") - Mikri Arktos/ECM 2008
- Elegy of the Uprooting (live) - ECM 2005; Also released as DVD
- The Weeping Meadow - ECM 2004
- Trojan Women (album) - ECM 2001
- Eternity and a Day - ECM 1998
- Rosa, Wandering - Lyra 1996
- Ulysses' Gaze - ECM 1995
- The Suspended Step of the Stork - ECM 1992
- Music for Films - ECM 1991
- The Suspended Step of the Stork - Minos 1991
- Unreleased Recordings - Minos 1991
- L'Africana - Minos 1990
- Herod Atticus Odeon (live) - Minos 1988
- Landscape in the Mist - Milan 1988
- The Beekeeper - Minos 1986
- Voyage to Cythera - Minos 1984
- The Price of Love - Minos 1983
- The Great Vigil - Minos 1975
- Eleni Karaindrou in IMDB