Elermore Vale, New South Wales
Newcastle, New South Wales
|• Density||1,990/km2 (5,170/sq mi)|
|Area||2.6 km2 (1.0 sq mi)|
|Location||13 km (8 mi) W of Newcastle|
|LGA(s)||City of Newcastle|
Elermore Vale is a suburb on the western outskirts of Newcastle, New South Wales. Before becoming a residential suburb in the 1900s, the area was used for chicken farming, cattle farming, and coal mining. By the 1960s, the school and the other facilities of the suburb had been established.
Elermore Vale had a population of 5,186 in 2011.
Plans for development of a retirement village, a A$6 million project by developers Pepperwood Ridge to create 72 self-care units for 800 people, in Elermore Vale have caused controversy. In 2004 Newcastle City Council defended an appeal made by the developers in the New South Wales Land and Environment Court.
Macquarie College is on Lake Road, Elermore Vale. One of Newcastle's leading private schools, it provides quality co-education, K-12, in a Christian environment.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Elermore Vale (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2 October 2013.
- "Elermore Vale village developers set to proceed". ABC News (Australia). 5 August 2006.
- Annual report 2004/2005 (PDF). Newcastle City Council. p. 11.
- "Newcastle Suburbs". Newcastle Buses.
- "Shaft Shuffle Fun Run". Cool Running Australia. 27 March 1999.
- Elermore Property Syndicate Overview and Update (PDF). WRF Property Ltd. 27 April 2006. — a report on the Elermore Vale Shopping Centre