Eleventh Battle of the Isonzo
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013)|
|Eleventh Battle of the Isonzo|
|Part of Italian Front (World War I)|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Casualties and losses|
|148,000 (30,000 dead, 108,000 wounded)||105,000 (20,000 dead,45,000 wounded, 30,000 missing 20,000 taken prisoner)|
The attack was carried forth from a front from Tolmin (in the upper Soča (Isonzo) valley) to the Adriatic Sea. The Italians crossed the river at several points on temporary bridges, but the main effort was exerted on the Bainsizza Plateau, whose capture was to further the offensive and break the Austro-Hungarian lines in two segments, isolating the strongholds of Mount Saint Gabriel and Mount Hermada.
After fierce and deadly fightings, the Italian Second Army, led by General Capello, pushed back Boroević's Isonzo Armee, conquering the Bainsizza and Mount Santo. Other positions were taken by the Duke of Aosta's Third Army.
However, Mount Saint Gabriel and Mount Hermada turned out to be impregnable, and the offensive wore out.
After the battle, the Austro-Hungarians were exhausted, and could not have withstood another attack. Fortunately for them (and unfortunately for their opponents), so were the Italians, who could not find the resources necessary for another assault, even though it might have been the decisive one. So the final result of the battle was an inconclusive bloodbath. Moreover, the end of the battle left the Italian Second Army (until then the most successful of the Italian Armies) split in two parts across the Soča (Isonzo), a weak point that proved to be decisive in the subsequent Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo.
- First Battle of the Isonzo - 23 June–7 July 1915
- Second Battle of the Isonzo - 18 July–3 August 1915
- Third Battle of the Isonzo - 18 October–3 November 1915
- Fourth Battle of the Isonzo - 10 November–2 December 1915
- Fifth Battle of the Isonzo - 9–17 March 1916
- Sixth Battle of the Isonzo - 6–17 August 1916
- Seventh Battle of the Isonzo - 14–17 September 1916
- Eighth Battle of the Isonzo - 10–12 October 1916
- Ninth Battle of the Isonzo - 1–4 November 1916
- Tenth Battle of the Isonzo - 12 May–8 June 1917
- Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo - 24 October–7 November 1917 also known as the Battle of Caporetto
- Johann Iskrić von Fratta und Auzza (3 March 1884 – 14 June 1961) who received the Knight's cross of Military Order of Maria Theresa for his conduct and bravery in the Eleventh Battle of the Isonzo.
- Eleventh Battle of the Isonzo
- FirstWorldWar.Com: The Battles of the Isonzo, 1915-17
- Battlefield Maps: Italian Front
- 11 battles at the Isonzo
- The Walks of Peace in the Soča Region Foundation. The Foundation preserves, restores and presents the historical and cultural heritage of the First World War in the area of the Isonzo Front for the study, tourist and educational purposes.
- The Kobarid Museum
- Društvo Soška Fronta (Slovene)
- Pro Hereditate - extensive site (English) (Italian) (Slovene)