Elfin Cove Seaplane Base
|Elfin Cove Seaplane Base|
|IATA: ELV – ICAO: PAEL – FAA LID: ELV|
|Owner||State of Alaska DOT&PF - Southeast Region|
|Serves||Elfin Cove, Alaska|
|Elevation AMSL||0 ft / 0 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Elfin Cove Seaplane Base (IATA: ELV, ICAO: PAEL, FAA LID: ELV) is a state-owned public-use seaplane base located in Elfin Cove, on Chichagof Island in the Hoonah-Angoon Census Area of the U.S. state of Alaska. Scheduled airline service is subsidized by the Essential Air Service program.
It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation facility (the commercial service category requires at least 2,500 enplanements per year). As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 196 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 265 enplanements in 2009, and 305 in 2010.
Facilities and aircraft
Elfin Cove Seaplane Base has one seaplane landing area designated NW/SE which measures 10,000 by 1,500 feet (3,048 x 457 m). For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2006, the airport had 500 aircraft operations, an average of 41 per month: 60% air taxi and 40% general aviation.
Airline and destination
The following airline offers scheduled passenger service at this airport:
|Alaska Seaplane Services||Juneau|
|Carrier||Passengers (arriving and departing)|
|Alaska Seaplane Services||
- FAA Airport Master Record for ELV ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective August 25, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "Flight Schedule". Alaska Seaplane Services, LLC. Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- "Elfin Cove, AK: Elfin Cove Sea Plane Base (ELV)". Bureau of Transportation Statistics. July 2011.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket OST-2002-11586) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Order 2003-1-27: selecting Alaska Seaplane Service, LLC, to provide subsided essential air service at Elfin Cove and Pelican, Alaska, at an annual subsidy rate of $177,681 for a two-year term from February 1, 2003, through January 31, 2005.
- Order 2005-5-3: selecting Alaska Seaplane Service to provide essential air service (EAS) to Pelican and Elfin Cove, Alaska, and establishing a subsidy rate of $216,593 per year.
- Order 2007-9-7: granting the Petition for Reconsideration of Alaska Seaplane Service, LLC, and extending its subsidized essential air service (EAS) term at Elfin Cove and Pelican, Alaska, to a four-year term, through May 31, 2011.
- Order 2011-3-11: re-selecting Alaska Seaplane Service, LLC, to provide essential air service (EAS) at Elfin Cove and Pelican, Alaska, at annual subsidy rates of $75,391 at Elfin Cove and $185,721 at Pelican, from June 1, 2011, through January 31, 2015.
- FAA Alaska airport diagram (GIF)
- Topographic map from USGS The National Map
- Resources for this airport: