Eli Alon holds a Medical degree from the University of Milan since 1972. He completed his residency in anesthesiology at the University of Milan and the University Hospital Zurich and a clinical research fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco.
He was a physician in military service in Israel and chairman of anesthesiology at Ospedale Regionale di Lugano where he founded the first school for nurse anesthetists and he was the first president of the anesthesiologists in the Canton Ticino.
Alon's fields of research and investigation are obstetric anesthesia, patient-controlled analgesia, regional anesthesia, and chronic pain management. He was President of the European Society of Obstetric Anesthesiology, and of the Swiss Society for the Study of Pain where he is still chairing the yearly advanced training course in pain management. He was Editor of the European Journal of Pain, Acta Anaesthesiologica Helvetica, International Monitor of Regional Anesthesia, Obstetric Anesthesia Digest and Der Schmerz.
Awards and honors
- honorary member of the Swiss society for study of pain 2011
- Outstanding Service to the Teaching Profession. American Biographical Institute
- Professional of the Year in Medicine 1991. American Biographical Institute
- 5000 Personalities of the World for Service to Profession. American Biographical Institute
- Who's who of the year 1994. American Biographical Institute
Alon is the author of 10 books and Proceedings, 58 original articles and 45 book chapters.
- Anästhesie und Schmerzlinderung in der Geburtshilfe ISBN 3-456-82779-2
- Practical aspects of pain management ISBN 88-7922-099-3
- Lectures during the joint annual congress... ISBN 88-7922-015-2
- Chronic pain-pharmacological and interventional therapy http://www.pain.ch/medizin/abstract-book-der-sgss-kongresse/abstract-book
- Clinical aspects of pain management http://www.pain.ch/medizin/sgss-empfehlungen/Clinical%20aspects.pdf
- Erfolgreiches management von Schmerzpatienten http://www.pain.ch/medizin/sgss-empfehlungen/erfolgreiches-management-von-schmerzpatienten
- Literature by and about Eli Alon in the German National Library catalogue
- Abschiedssymposium für Eli Alon at Webseite der Schweizerischen Gesellschaft zum Studium des Schmerzes