Eli brings a comedic flair to his productions, which include Monitor and Ace Award winning projects for television, award-winning films for children, inventive commercials and title sequences, and spirited experimental films.
Nominated for an Academy Award for his groundbreaking animated film, Clay (1964), Eli's work includes projects for Sesame Street, HBO, Scholastic, Nickelodeon, MTV, Pixar, Disney and Oxygen Media. He was co-creator of the Nickelodeon children's television series, Eureeka's Castle, and directed two recurring segments on MTV's revolutionary television series, Liquid Television. He's also known for Ruff's Bone, a best-selling interactive CD-ROM for Broderbund's Living Books series.
As a director at (Colossal) Pictures, Eli directed scores of commercials, opening titles for TV shows, and even a pilot TV game show in association with the Exploratorium.
He worked with Disney-ABC Television Group as part of a team developing a new learning channel for kids, ABZ, then moved to Oxygen where he was responsible for the design and implementation of their websites.
In 2009, Eli directed animation for two documentaries, The Most Dangerous Man in America, nominated for the Academy Award® for Best Documentary Feature Film, and Under Our Skin, shortlisted for Academy nomination in the same category.
At his studio, Alligator Planet, Eli handles a range of productions: animated segments for documentaries, animation for environmental projects, inventive solutions to creative problems of all kinds.
- Clay (or the Origin of Species) (1964)
- Alphabet (1966)
- The Hat (1969)
- He-Man and She-Bar (1972)
- Worm Dances (1973)
- Sesame Street ("Sand Letters" shorts) (1974–1991)
- Sandman (1975)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly (1976)
- Special Delivery (show open) (1980)
- MTV (network ID's) (1981–1983)
- Braingames (1983–1985)
- Nickelodeon (network ID's) (1985–1989)
- Nick at Nite (launch ID's) (1986)
- The Fable of He and She (1988)
- Eureeka's Castle (1989–1994)
- Liquid Television (1991–1994)
- Cheerios (commercial) (1991)
- Adventures in Wonderland (main title) (1991)
- Burger King (commercial) (1992)
- CIGNA (commercial) (1992)
- Bubble Yum (commercial) (1994)
- ABZ (logo animation) (1998)