Elias Avery Lowe
Elias Avery Lowe (15 October 1879 – 8 August 1969), born to a Russian Jewish family as Elias Avery Loew, was an American palaeographer. His wife was the noted translator H. T. Lowe-Porter; and their great-grandson is journalist and politician Boris Johnson, Mayor of London.
His main works are the Codices Latini Antiquiores.
- Die ältesten Kalendarien in Monte Cassino, München, Diss. phil. 1908.
- The Beneventan Script. A History of the South Italian minuscule, Oxford 1914. 2nd ed. Rome 1980.
- Handwriting. Our Medieval Legacy, Rome, 1969.
- Palaeographical papers. 1907-1965, ed. Ludwig Bieler, Oxford 1972.
- Bernhard Bischoff, "Elias Avery Lowe, 15.10.1879 - 8.8.1969," Jahrbuch der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften 1970, pp. 203 ff.
- James J. John, "A Palaeographer among Benedictines: A Tribute to E.A. Lowe," American Benedictine Review 21 (1970), 1-17.
- Patricia Tracy Lowe, A marriage of true minds. A memoir of my parents, Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter and Elias Avery Lowe, New Paltz, NY 2006, ISBN 0-9642350-4-8.
- Interview: Boris Johnson - my Jewish credentials, The Jewish Chronicle, By Daniella Peled, April 2008
- Works by Elias Avery Lowe at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Elias Avery Lowe in libraries (WorldCat catalog)