Elias Murr - 2007 photo
30 January 1962|
|Education||Higher Degree in Law (1982)|
Elias Murr (Arabic: إلياس المرّ ʾIlyās al-Murr) (born 1962) is a Lebanese politician who held different cabinet positions.
Early life and education 
In 2000, Murr was appointed interior minister, replacing his father Michel Murr. He was in office until 2005 when he was succeeded by Suleiman Frangieh. Murr was appointed defense minister in 2005.
Assassination attempt 
Murr was wounded in a bombing in Beirut on July 12, 2005. The explosion happened in the city of Antelias 5 km north of Beirut. Al Jazeera reported two other people with injuries. Police stated one killed and a dozen injured.
Accusations of sabotage 
In December 2010 it was revealed by WikiLeaks that in 2008 Murr had offered advice on how Israel could defeat Hezbollah if a new war erupted on Israel's northern border. It was also revealed that Murr "displayed clear sectarian bias in advising Israel not to attack the Christian areas of the country while apparently having no qualms about bombs falling on the heads of Shia civilians". He is quoted as having said:
“Israel would do well to avoid two things when it comes for Hizballah One, it must not touch the Blue Line or the UNSCR 1701 areas as this will keep Hizballah out of these areas. Two, Israel cannot bomb bridges and infrastructure in the Christian areas. The Christians were supporting Israel in 2006 until they started bombing their bridges. If Israel has to bomb all of these places in the Shia areas as a matter of operational concern, that is Hizballah's problem.”
Personal life 
- "Biography for Elias Murr". SILObreaker. 15 January 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2009.
- Abdelnour, Ziad K. (June 2003). "Michel and Elias Murr". Middle East Intellligence Bulletin 5 (6). Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Ferran Izquierdo Brichs (27 November 2012). Political Regimes in the Arab World: Society and the Exercise of Power. Routledge. p. 220. ISBN 978-1-136-24087-4. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "President Lahoud's Son-in-Law Elias Murr Survives Assassination Ambush". Naharnet. 12 July 2005. Retrieved 1 May 2009.
- "Al Akhbar Newspaper publishes US cables". Ya Libnan. 3 December 2010. Archived from the original on 13 January 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- Sison, Michele J. (11 March 2008). Min Def worried that Hizballah war with Israel imminent. WikiLeaks/Al Akhbar (Lebanon). WikiLeaks cable:08BEIRUT372. Archived from the original on 14 January 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- "Lebanon defense minister "offered invasion advice for Israel"". Ha'aretz. 3 December 2010.
- Amiri, Rannie (10 December 2010). "A Damning Wikileaks Revelation - The Story of Elias Murr, Saboteur". CounterPunch. Archived from the original on 13 January 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
|This Lebanese biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|