Eliezer Shlomo Schick
|Rabbi Eliezer Shlomo Schick|
|Organisation||Mesivta Heichal Hakodesh|
|Other||Founder and leader of "Breslov City" in Yavne'el, Israel|
|Birth name||Eliezer Shlomo Schick|
|Died||February 6, 2015 (aged 74–75)
New York City
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2010)|
Eliezer Shlomo Schick (May 29, 1940 – February 6, 2015), also known as Mohorosh (an acronym for Moreinu HaRav Eliezer Shlomo, "our teacher, our rabbi, Eliezer Shlomo") was a Hasidic rabbi and prolific author and publisher of Breslov teachings in books, pamphlets, and taped lectures distributed worldwide. He has authored more than 100 hardcover books and 1,000 booklets based on the teachings of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov. He was the leader of the self-styled "Breslov City" in the Galilee town of Yavne'el, Israel.
Introduction to Breslov
At the age of 15, Schick came across the popular Breslov booklet, Meshivat Nefesh by Rabbi Alter Tepliker, which attracted him to Rebbe Nachman's teachings. He began to spend many hours each day in hitbodedut per Rebbe Nachman's instructions, and studied more Torah in accordance with Rabbi Nachman's system of learning. Seeing the influence that a small booklet had had on him, he resolved to disseminate Rebbe Nachman's works when the opportunity would arise.
After his marriage in 1964, Schick founded Mesivta Heichal Hakodesh, an international outreach organization which disseminates Breslov teachings. In 1965, Schick wrote, printed and distributed 85,000 copies of booklets based on Rebbe Nachman's writings, selling them around the world at below-cost price. Today his annual output is in the millions. He has introduced Breslov teachings to countless readers worldwide.
In 1986, Schick founded a Breslov community — largely consisting of baalei teshuvah (newly religious) adherents — in the Galilee town of Yavne'el in northern Israel. This community, which calls itself "Breslov City," numbers over 350 families out of a total population of 3,100. The community has many schools and activities for over 1,000 children, including a Talmud Torah, girls' school, yeshiva ketana, yeshiva gedola, and kollel. It is now planning to open a new and expansive beth midrash.
- "Rav Eliezer Shlomo Shick zt"l". Yeshiva World News. 6 February 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "About Mohorosh". mohorosh.com. 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2010.
- "Yavne'el Breslov City". mohorosh.com. 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2010.
- "Table 3 – Population of Localities Numbering Above 2,000 Residents and Other Rural Population". Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 17 November 2010.
- Tzoren, Moshe Michael. Away From the Hustle and Bustle of the Big City: Investors from Israel and abroad are buying up large lots in Yavniel, a quiet village in the Galilee, with an eye on building hundreds of housing units for the chareidi public. Hamodia Israel News, 23 December 2010, pp. A26-A27. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Breslev-City - Official website of Mesivta Heichal Hakodesh
- Official YouTube channal
- Official Facebook english page
- Official Facebook hebrew page
- Official Twitter page
- Official Google+ page