Elif Batuman (born in 1977) is an American author, academic, and journalist.
Elif Batuman was born in New York City to Turkish parents, and grew up in New Jersey. She graduated from Harvard College, and received her doctorate in comparative literature from Stanford University, where she taught. While in graduate school, Batuman studied the Uzbek language in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. Her dissertation, The Windmill and the Giant: Double-Entry Bookkeeping in the Novel, is about the process of social research and solitary construction undertaken by novelists.
In February, 2010, she published her first book, The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them, based on material previously published in The New Yorker, Harper's Magazine, and n+1, which details her experiences as a graduate student. Her writing has been described as "almost helplessly epigrammatical."
- The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them. Macmillan. 2010. ISBN 978-0-374-53218-5.
- Batuman, Elif (Feb 2009). "The murder of Leo Tolstoy". Harper's 318 (1905): 45–53. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Elif Batuman (23 September 2010). "Get a Real Degree". London Review of Books.
- Elif Batuman (December 31, 2010). "From the Critical Impulse, the Growth of Literature". The New York Times.
- Elif Batuman (21 April 2011). "Elif Batuman: Life after a bestseller". The Guardian.
- Batuman, Elif (19&26 December 2011). "Dept. of Archaeology: The Sanctuary". The New Yorker 87 (41): 72–83. Retrieved 5 September 2013. Check date values in:
|date=(help) Göbekli Tepe
- Elif Batuman in conversation with Full Stop (14 December 2011).
- Slate review of "The Possessed"
- New York Times review of "The Possessed"
- I am a doctor.
- New Yorker articles
- Harper's Magazine articles
- n+1 articles
- 'The Meaning of Russia', Oxonian Review
- "Department of English Language and Comparative Literature - Elif Batuman". Koç University. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Rona Jaffe Foundation Writers' Award recipients
- Whiting Writers' Award