July 29, 1946 |
Bangor, Maine, U.S.
|Alma mater||Harvard University
Early life and career
He served as Associate Director for Natural Resources, Energy and Science in the Office of Management and Budget in the Carter administration, and was the principal White House official for energy. Cutler began his career as a legislative assistant to Senator Edmund Muskie of Maine, helping craft the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act.
He was a founding partner of Cutler & Stanfield LLP, which became the second largest environmental law firm in the country, eventually merging that practice with international firm Akin Gump in 2000.
2010 Gubernatorial campaign
On December 9, 2009, Cutler officially launched his campaign for governor of Maine. If elected, he would have been Maine’s third Independent governor. He was endorsed by Maine's second Independent governor, Angus King.
In a close election night race, Cutler took an early lead. As the results came in from Maine's smaller and more rural communities, Cutler's lead shrank, and eventually opponent Paul LePage took the lead. Based on early, unofficial results, the Bangor Daily News projected that LePage would win, and Cutler conceded.
2014 Gubernatorial campaign
On June 6, 2013, Cutler announced on radio station WGAN's morning show that he would again run for governor, with a formal announcement coming after Labor Day. He dismissed the suggestion that his candidacy would result in another LePage victory, stating that he wouldn't run if he didn't think he could win. He was again endorsed by Angus King on August 18, 2014. 
He has served on the Board of Directors of Americans Elect, a nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation which sought to gain ballot access for a bi-partisan presidential ticket in every state in the 2012 Presidential Election.
- Wickenheiser, Matt (2009-06-25). "Governor's race draws a crowd of candidates". Portland Press Herald. MaineToday Media. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Ex-White House official joins governor's race". Mainebiz. 2009-08-26. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Gagnon, Matthew (2009-09-05). "Eliot Cutler – Game Changer". Pine Tree Politics. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Eliot R. Cutler, Partner". Akin Gump.
- "About Eliot". Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- John Richardson Cutler takes early lead in governor's race Maine Today November 2, 2010
- Miller, Kevin; Wickenheiser, Matt (3 November 2010). "BDN projects LePage to win governor's race". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "Eliot Cutler tells Portland radio show hosts that he’s running for governor in 2014". Bangor Daily News. 6 June 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Angus King endorses Eliot Cutler at Portland press conference". Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Ballot-access.org. "Ballot Access News » Blog Archive » Christine Todd Whitman Encourages Jon Huntsman to Seek Americans Elect Nomination". Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- Cousins, Christopher (2012-03-05). "Angus King enters race for U.S. Senate". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 2012-03-06.