Elizabeth (NJT station)
The former Central Railroad of New Jersey Depot near Elizabeth NJT station
|Address||11 West Grand Street
Elizabeth, New Jersey
|Connections|| NJT Bus: 26, 48, 52, 56, 57, 58, 59, 62, and 112
ONE Bus: 24
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Bicycle facilities||Racks and Lockers|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Passengers (2012)||3,807 (weekday) (NJT)|
(Central Railroad of New Jersey)
|Location||Morris Ave., and Broad St., Elizabeth, New Jersey|
|Area||1.3 acres (0.53 ha)|
|Architectural style||Roanesque, Victorian Romanesque|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP Reference #||84002825|
|Added to NRHP||September 29, 1984|
Elizabeth Station is a New Jersey Transit station 15.4 miles southwest of New York on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast lines in Elizabeth, Union County, New Jersey, United States. It is between Broad Street and West Grand Street on an embankment and a viaduct. This station is often called Broad Street Elizabeth to distinguish it from North Elizabeth station. A number of bus lines have stops near this station.
At the station the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad (today's Northeast Corridor) crossed over the tracks of the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ); both railroads had stations there and passengers could transfer between them. The CNJ right-of-way in Elizabeth is now abandoned, and passenger trains which serve the former CNJ mainline (New Jersey Transit's Raritan Valley Line service) bypass Elizabeth via the Aldene Connection on their way to Newark Penn Station. The CNJ line station suffered from a freight train wreck on November 4, 1972 when a boxcar derailed and pulled several other cars into the canopy. Although the buildings and freight cars were damaged, there were no injuries.
The proposed Union County Light Rail, which would have connected midtown Elizabeth with Newark Airport, would have had its western terminus at this station. The station for this line would have been referred to as Midtown Station to distinguish from the other stations in Elizabeth on this line. The plan has been replaced by the Union go bus expressway, a proposed bus rapid transit system between Garwood and the airport.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. December 27, 2012. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Wreck at Elizabeth, NJ". Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "Union County Go bus expressway". NJ Transit Bus Service: The Next Generation. New Jersey Transit. April 26, 2020. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- "Bollwage supports construction of new midtown train station by NJ Transit", Suburban News, March 16, 2012, retrieved 2012-02-01
- "Elizabeth Downtown Multi-Modal Integration Study". North Jersey Transportation Planning Organization. 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- NJT rail station information page for Elizabeth
- DepartureVision real time train information for Elizabeth
Media related to Elizabeth (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Broad Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Grand Street entrance from Google Maps Street View