Elizabeth Grey, 6th Baroness Lisle
Elizabeth married twice:
- Firstly to Edmund Dudley (c. 1462-1510); they had three children:
- Secondly, after the execution of Edmund Dudley, Elizabeth married Arthur Plantagenet (d.1542). Arthur and Elizabeth had three daughters:
- Frances Plantagenet
- Elizabeth Plantagenet
- Bridget Plantagenet.
Succession to Barony of Lisle
On the death of her niece Elizabeth Grey, Viscountess Lisle (1505–1519), the daughter of her brother John Grey, 2nd Viscount Lisle (1481–1504) by his wife Muriel Howard, the barony of Lisle passed to Elizabeth, who thereby became suo jure Baroness Lisle. Her husband Arthur Plantagenet was created Viscount Lisle on 25 April 1523. He continued to hold the title after her death in 1525 or 1526. After Arthur Plantagenet's death in 1542, Henry VIII granted the viscountcy to Elizabeth Grey's eldest son by her first marriage, John Dudley, 1st Viscount Lisle, "by the right of his mother". He was created Viscount Lisle on 12 March 1542, and was later created Duke of Northumberland. He forfeited his titles upon his execution and attainder in 1553.
- Grummitt, David (2008), "Plantagenet, Arthur, Viscount Lisle (b. before 1472, d. 1542)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/22355
- Commire, Anne; Klezmer, Deborah (1999). Women in world history: a biographical encyclopedia 6 (illustrated ed.). Yorkin Publications. ISBN 978-0-7876-3736-1.
- Loades, David (1996). John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland 1504–1553. Clarendon Press, isbn=0-19-820193-1.
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|