Olsen at the Toronto International Film Festival debut of Martha Marcy May Marlene in 2011
|Born||Elizabeth Chase Olsen
February 16, 1989
Sherman Oaks, California, US
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Relatives||Mary-Kate Olsen (sister)
Ashley Olsen (sister)
Elizabeth Olsen (born February 16, 1989) is an American actress and singer. She's best known for her roles in the films Silent House, Liberal Arts and the critically acclaimed Martha Marcy May Marlene, for which she was nominated for numerous awards. She is the younger sister of actresses and fashion designers Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen.
Early life and education
Olsen was born and raised in Sherman Oaks, California, the daughter of Jarnette "Jarnie" Fuller (b. 1954), a personal manager, and David "Dave" Olsen, a real estate developer and mortgage banker. In 1995, Olsen's parents filed for divorce proceedings. Her father remarried McKenzie (her stepmother).
As a child, she received ballet and singing lessons. Lizzie Olsen began acting at a very young age, with appearances in her sisters' films. Before the age of eleven, Olsen had small roles in How the West Was Fun and the straight-to-video series The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley. Of this period in her acting career, Olsen comments, "Well, that was like after-school for me. I'd hang out and they'd be like, hey, you want to be in this one? Then they'd paint half my face dark brown or something— 'Silly sister, forgot to put sunscreen on half her face.'" She also has an older brother, Trent Olsen and from her father's second marriage to McKenzie, she has a younger half-sister, Courtney "Taylor" and half-brother, Jake.
Having appeared in her sisters' videos, when she was in the fourth grade, Olsen began to go on auditions for other projects.
Olsen attended Campbell Hall School in North Hollywood, California from kindergarten through grade 12. After graduation, she enrolled at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. In 2009, Olsen spent a semester studying in Moscow, Russia at the Art Theatre School. The young actress says of her work towards an acting career: "...I've been taking acting classes since I was 7. I took classes, kids auditioning with their mothers, and I didn't want that, I just liked the classes. I met my agent through understudying a Broadway play, and I was doing some underground stuff that nobody saw."
Olsen appeared nude in the 2011 film Martha Marcy May Marlene; when asked about the nudity, she said that she felt that it added to the film. She has also acted in Silent House, in which she played the role of Sarah, and appeared in the music video "The Queen" by Carlotta. Lizzie Olsen filmed the movie Red Lights during mid-2011, and the movie was released in the US on July 13, 2012. She also starred in Josh Radnor's film Liberal Arts, which was released on January 22, 2012. She and Dakota Fanning are set to star in Very Good Girls, planned for a 2013 release. Olsen had recently joined the cast of the American remake of the 2003 South Korean film Oldboy. She will play Marie, a young social worker who develops a relationship with the protagonist, played by Josh Brolin. Olsen will play Edie Parker, Jack Kerouac's first wife and the author of the Beat Generation memoir "You'll Be Okay." in "Kill your Darlings". Kerouac will be played by Jack Huston, the grandson of the great John Huston. First time filmmaker John Krokidas will helm the project and his ex-Yale roommate Austin Bunn co-wrote the script with him.
Olsen almost quit acting in 2004 due to the media frenzy surrounding Mary-Kate's eating disorder.
Olsen attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts and the Atlantic Theater Company and graduated in March 2013 after 6 years of intermittent study. Her sisters' clothing line Elizabeth and James was named after her and her older brother.
- Wilson, Stacey (21). "Olsen twins' little sister makes Sundance debut". Reuters.com. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Elizabeth Olsen: 5 Things You Need to Know". The Hollywood Reporter. 2011-01-24. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Jensen, Jeff (2010-09-03). "Elizabeth Olsen, younger sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley, makes name for herself | PopWatch | EW.com". Popwatch.ew.com. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "Elizabeth Olsen Makes Her Cannes Debut - Mary-Kate Olsen". Zimbio. 1986-06-13. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "Mary-Kate Olsen Biography (1986-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Tauber, Michelle (3). "Two Cool". People. Time Inc. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Bakker, Tiffany (January 15, 2012). "Elizabeth Olsen admires her sisters". The Daily Telegraph (Australia).
- Grady, Pam (2011-10-23). "Elizabeth Olsen, character caught between 2 worlds". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- "Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's baby sister says nudity necessary in new film". Fox News. 2011-09-16.
- Balser, Erin (2007-06-27). "Lizzie Olsen is the Queen!". Crushable.com. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "Elizabeth Olsen Joins Red Lights | Movie News | Empire". Empireonline.com. 2006-12-05. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Kit, Borys (March 23, 2011). "Josh Radnor, Elizabeth Olsen Teaming for Indie Liberal Arts". Hollywood Reporter.
- Gallagher, Brian (2011-05-12). "Very Good Girls Lands Dakota Fanning and Elizabeth Olsen". MovieWeb.com. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- Fleming, Mike. "Cannes: Ealing Metro/Prescience To Finance ‘Very Good Girls’ With Dakota Fanning And Elizabeth Olsen –". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2011-12-05.
- "Elizabeth Olsen: 'Oldboy' Role Is 'Really Exciting'". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Elizabeth Olsen Almost Quit Acting Because of Sisters Mary-Kate and Ashley (Thankfully, She Didn't!)". Eonline.com. 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "BAFTA 2013 Rising Star Award: nominees announced - Yahoo! Movies UK". Uk.movies.yahoo.com. 2013-01-07. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Log in om een reactie te plaatsen. (2013-04-23). "Elizabeth Olsen and Eric Ripert Prepare Wild Boar Ragu | On The Table Ep. 8 Full | Reserve Channel". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- Rozen, Leah (October 11, 2011). "An Olsen Sister Finds a Spotlight All Her Own". The New York Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Elizabeth Olsen|
- Elizabeth Olsen at AllRovi
- Elizabeth Olsen at the Internet Movie Database
- Elizabeth Olsen at the TCM Movie Database
- Elizabeth Olsen at the Notable Names Database
- Elizabeth's Page