Elk Grove, California
|City of Elk Grove|
Sunset on Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove
|Motto: "Proud Heritage, Bright Future"|
|Incorporated||July 1, 2000|
|• Special District||Cosumnes CSD|
|• Mayor||Gary Davis|
|• Vice Mayor||Patrick Hume|
|• Chief Of Police||Robert Lehner|
|• Fire Chief||Tracey Hansen|
|• Total||42.239 sq mi (109.398 km2)|
|• Land||42.190 sq mi (109.271 km2)|
|• Water||0.049 sq mi (0.127 km2) 0.12%|
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
|Population (April 1, 2010)|
|• Estimate (January 1, 2014)||160,688|
|• Rank||2nd in Sacramento County
31st in California
156th in the United States
|• Density||3,600/sq mi (1,400/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP codes||95624, 95757–95759|
|GNIS feature IDs||277506, 2410425|
Elk Grove is a city in Sacramento County, California, located just south of the state capital of Sacramento. It is part of the Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of 2014, the population of the city was estimated at 160,688. The second-largest city in Sacramento County, Elk Grove earned the title of the fastest growing city in the U.S. between July 1, 2004, and July 1, 2005.
Elk Grove was founded in 1850 as a stage stop, when the Elk Grove House was opened by James Hall and the town was subsequently named after it.
On July 1, 2000, Elk Grove incorporated as a city. In 2008 Elk Grove suffered from the subprime mortgage crisis.
The Elk Grove Unified School District is the fifth largest school district in California and one of the fastest growing school districts in the nation. Located in southern Sacramento County, the district covers 320 square miles (830 km2), one-third of the county. For the 2002-03 school year, the district served more than 52,500 students, and expects to reach 66,000 students by 2015. Those students attend 38 elementary schools, 8 middle schools, 8 high schools and 4 alternative high schools.
There are also several private schools in town. A local community college, Cosumnes River College, offers both vocational training and a transfer program to four-year universities. Located nearby are California State University, Sacramento and the University of California, Davis, as well as branches of Golden Gate University, and St. Mary's College. Elk Grove is also the home of the private six-year Universalist religious college Quest Seminary. In 2013, California Northstate University that offers a Doctor of Pharmacy degree program relocated to Elk Grove (near Interstate 5).
The new Elk Grove Public Library is located at 8900 Elk Grove Blvd in a modern two story building. It moved to this location from just a block East. The library is part of the broader Sacramento Public Library system. The Elk Grove Library also serves neighboring communities such as Vineyard, Wilton, Sloughhouse, and Rancho Murieta. Additional local libraries supplement neighborhoods, such as the public Franklin High Library.
The City of Elk Grove incorporated on July 1, 2000. It is a general law city and operates on the Manager-City Council type of governance. Beginning in 2012, voters elect the Mayor directly for a two year term, along with four council members. Prior to 2012, The mayor's position was a one-year term and was chosen at-large by the city council. The first directly elected Mayor of Elk Grove on November 6, 2012 is Gary Davis. The remaining councilmembers are Darren Suen (District 1), Pat Hume (District 2), Steve Detrick (District 3) and Steve Ly (District 4).
According to Elk Grove's 2010 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|1||Elk Grove Unified School District||5,000|
|4||Methodist Hospital of Sacramento||550|
|6||Cosumnes River College||330|
|8||Bimbo Bakeries USA||265|
|9||City of Elk Grove||289|
|10||Bank of Stockton||237|
As they have done for more than 100 years, the members of the Cosumnes CSD Fire Department maintain their commitment to protecting the lives, property and environment from fire and other natural and manmade disasters and emergencies in a courteous, timely and effective manner. In 2010, Tracey M. Hansen, a 17-year veteran of the Cosumnes CSD Fire Department was named the new Fire Chief by CSD General Manager Jeff Ramos, the latest achievement in a career she began as a paramedic. Hansen named John Michelini as her Deputy Chief and the team immediately began developing strategies to effectively manage the Fire Department during the recession.
- Kyle Larson, NASCAR driver.
- Ami Bera (Residence), physician; United States Representative, 7th district, California.
- "California Cities by Incorporation Date" (Word). California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "Government: Councilmembers". City of Elk Grove. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer File - Places - California". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Elk Grove". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- "E-1 Population Estimates for Cities, Counties, and the State — January 1, 2013 and 2014". California Department of Finance. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- "ZIP Code(tm) Lookup". United States Postal Service. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- US Census Press Release
- "Sacramento, California: City History." Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- Erwin, Gudde (2004). California Place Names: The origin and etymology of current geographical names. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. p. 121.
- "Is America's suburban dream collapsing into a nightmare?." CNN. Accessed June 17, 2008.
- "Quest Seminary". Retrieved 2009-11-29.
- "Elk Grove Library". Retrieved 2009-11-29.
- "California's 7th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- City of Elk Grove CAFR
- "Biography". Kyle Larson official website. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- Bera, Ami. "About Dr. Ami Bera". Bera for Congress. Retrieved November 14, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elk Grove, California.|