Elkhart Municipal Airport
|Elkhart Municipal Airport|
Aerial view of the airport, facing northwest
|IATA: EKI – ICAO: KEKM – FAA LID: EKM|
|Owner||City of Elkhart|
|Elevation AMSL||778 ft / 237 m|
Elkhart Municipal Airport (IATA: EKI, ICAO: KEKM, FAA LID: EKM) is a city-owned public-use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) northwest of the central business district of Elkhart, a city in Elkhart County, Indiana, United States.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Elkhart Municipal Airport is assigned EKM by the FAA and EKI by the IATA. The airport's ICAO identifier is KEKM.
Facilities and aircraft
Elkhart Municipal Airport covers an area of 640 acres (260 ha) at an elevation of 778 feet (237 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 9/27 is 6,500 by 120 feet (1,981 x 37 m) and 18/36 is 4,001 by 75 feet (1,220 x 23 m). It also has one turf runway designated 8/26 which measures 2,500 by 100 feet (762 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2005, the airport had 33,211 aircraft operations, an average of 90 per day: 96% general aviation, 3% air taxi and 1% military. At that time there were 73 aircraft based at this airport: 62% single-engine, 23% multi-engine, 8% jet, 4% helicopter and 3% military.
Former airlines and destinations
- Air Wisconsin - Operated in the 1970s through the 1980s. (Battle Creek, Chicago-O'Hare, Fort Wayne)
- FAA Airport Master Record for EKM ( PDF), effective 2009-05-07.
- Great Circle Mapper: EKI / KEKM - Elkhart, Indiana
- "Air Wisconsin". Airchive.com: The Museum of Commercial Aviation. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- Home airport for EAA Chapter 132
- Aerial photo from Indiana Department of Transportation
- (PDF), effective December 11, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for Elkhart Municipal (EKM), effective December 11, 2014
- Resources for this airport: