Elkins Park (SEPTA station)
SEPTA regional rail
Elkins Park Station, from the intersection of Park and Spring Avenues
|Address||7879 Spring Avenue
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania 19027
|Connections||SEPTA City Bus: 28|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||59 space parking lot|
|Opened||1898 (or 1899)|
Elkins Railroad Station, Philadelphia and Reading Railroad
|Location||Jct. of Spring and Park Aves., Cheltenham Township, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA|
|Area||0.5 acres (0.2 ha)|
|Architect||OR builder = Cope & Stewardson Co.|
|Architectural style||Queen Anne|
|NRHP Reference #||90001609|
|Added to NRHP||October 25, 1990|
Elkins Park is a SEPTA Regional Rail located in the Elkins Park neighborhood of Cheltenham Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The station building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its notable architecture. The station is located at the intersection of Park Avenue and Spring Avenue. Elkins Park station is served by the Warminster Line, West Trenton Line, and Lansdale/Doylestown Line.
The station was constructed in 1898 by Cope & Stewardson, at a cost of $40,000. Originally, it was known as the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Elkins Railroad Station, but has also been known as Elkins Park Station and Ashbourne Station. The Queen Anne Style architecture of the station resulted in the station being added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Elkins Park Station is located along one of SEPTA's main rail lines. Elkins Park station is served by numerous Warminster Line and West Trenton Line trains, especially on weekends, when all Warminster and West Trenton trains stop at Elkins Park Station. On weekdays, certain Lansdale/Doylestown Line trains stop at Elkins Park, as well.
- Existing Stations in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Ceremony Marks Elkins Park SEPTA Station Improvements; Station Houses Top, Hispanic-Owned Architectural Firm" PR Newswire. (May 15, 1997).
- National Register of Historic Places: Pennsylvania – Montgomery County (scroll down) (accessed August 3, 2006)
- PDF (539 KB)
- PDF (321 KB)
Media related to Elkins Park (SEPTA station) at Wikimedia Commons
- SEPTA – Elkins Park Station
- Historic and more recent Elkins Park Station images
- Park Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View