Location in Limestone County and the state of Alabama
|Incorporated||March 28, 1873|
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||807 ft (246 m)|
|• Density||293.8/sq mi (111.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0117933|
Elkmont is located at(34.930155, -86.977086)1.
As of the census of 2000, there were 470 people, 172 households, and 136 families residing in the town. The population density was 292.9 people per square mile (113.4/km2). There were 189 housing units at an average density of 117.8 per square mile (45.6/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 83.40% White, 15.11% Black or African American, 1.06% from other races, and 0.43% from two or more races. 1.28% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 172 households out of which 40.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.0% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.9% were non-families. 19.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 32.1% from 25 to 44, 18.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,771, and the median income for a family was $35,000. Males had a median income of $33,750 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,654. About 15.9% of families and 20.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.9% of those under age 18 and 13.9% of those age 65 or over.
The Richard Martin Trail goes through here on the old rail line.
- Billy Hogan, singer/songwriter
- The Delmore Brothers
- Michael Boley Pro football player for the New York Giants
- Rickey Randall Entertainer
- Steven Johnson, drummer for Alabama Shakes
- Acts of the General Assembly of the State of Alabama. 1873. pp. 318–321. Retrieved 2013-08-24. "No. 283. AN ACT To incorporate the town of Elkmont, in Limestone County, Alabama."
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Delmore Brothers website maintained by Alton's daughter
- Delmore Brothers Biography, Sessionography, Discography, and all about them by Alain Nicolas