Ella Abraça Jobim
|Ella Abraça Jobim|
|Studio album by Ella Fitzgerald|
|Recorded||September 17–19, 1980, March 18–20, 1981|
|Genre||Jazz, Bossa nova|
|Ella Fitzgerald chronology|
It was reissued on CD in 1991, although the CD version does not include the songs "Don't Ever Go Away" and "Song of the Jet".
Though it is subtitled as such, this album is not usually considered part of Fitzgerald's 'Songbook' series, the last of the 'Songbook' albums having been recorded in 1964.
It was Fitzgerald's first album of music devoted to a single composer since 1972's Ella Loves Cole, and it was her only album recorded entirely in the Bossa Nova style, though she had been singing Jobim's songs since the mid-1960s.
Fitzgerald never worked with Antonio Carlos Jobim, though she appeared alongside Frank Sinatra for a 1967 television special that also featured Jobim.
The title has a pun, as Ela (with a single l) translates as "she". It can be translated as 'She Hugs Jobim' (Ela Abraça Jobim) or 'Ella Hugs Jobim".
- "Somewhere in the Hills" (Favela) (Vinícius de Moraes, Ray Gilbert) – 3:56
- "The Girl from Ipanema" (de Moraes, Norman Gimbel) – 3:50
- "Dindi" (Ray Gilbert, Aloysio Oliveira) – 6:37
- "Desafinado" (Off Key) (Jesse Cavanaugh, Jon Hendricks, Newton Mendonça) – 3:41
- "Water to Drink" (de Moraes, Gimbel) – 2:44
- "Dreamer (Vivo Sonhando)" (Gene Lees) – 4:55
- "Corcovado" (Lees) – 5:40
- "Bonita" (Gilbert, Lees) – 2:50
- "One Note Samba" (Mendonça, Hendricks) – 3:51
- "Don't Ever Go Away (Por Causa de Voce)" (Gilbert, Dolores Duran) - 2:52
- "Triste" – 4:07
- "How Insensitive" (de Moraes, Gimbel) – 3:00
- "He's a Carioca (Ele É Carioca)" (de Moraes, Gilbert) – 5:14
- "This Love That I've Found (Só Tinha de Ser Com Você)" (Oliveira) – 5:17
- "A Felicidade" (de Moraes) – 2:19
- "Wave" – 5:22
- "Song of the Jet (Samba Do Avião)" (Lees) – 3:40
- "Photograph" (Fotografia) (Gilbert) – 3:49
- "Useless Landscape (Inútil Paisagem)" (Gilbert, Oliveira) – 7:59
All songs composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim, with lyricists indicated.
- Ella Fitzgerald - Vocals
- Clark Terry - Trumpet
- Zoot Sims - Tenor Saxophone
- Toots Thielemans - Harmonica
- Henry Trotter - Keyboard
- Mike Lang
- Clarence McDonald
- Joe Pass - Guitar
- Oscar Castro-Neves
- Paul Jackson, Jr.
- Mitch Holder
- Ronald Bautiste
- Abraham Laboriel - Double Bass
- Alex Acuña - Drums
- Paulinho da Costa - Percussion
- Produced by Norman Granz
- Associate producer - Paulinho Da Costa
- Arranged by Erich Bulling
- Mastering - Bernie Grundman (US) & Greg Fulginiti (International)