Location in Schley County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||571 ft (174 m)|
|• Density||502.8/sq mi (196.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0355674|
Ellaville was founded in 1858 as seat of the newly formed Schley County. It was incorporated as a town in 1859.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,609 people, 621 households, and 416 families residing in the city. The population density was 505.9 people per square mile (195.4/km²). There were 693 housing units at an average density of 217.9 per square mile (84.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 50.34% White, 45.74% African American, 0.19% Native American, 2.18% from other races, and 1.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.48% of the population.
There were 621 households out of which 35.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.4% were married couples living together, 22.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.9% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.5% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 80.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,724, and the median income for a family was $33,409. Males had a median income of $29,500 versus $21,615 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,320. About 22.2% of families and 26.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.7% of those under age 18 and 33.3% of those age 65 or over.
Schley County School District
The Schley County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of one elementary school and a middle-high school. The district has 66 full-time teachers and over 1,126 students.
- Schley County Elementary School
- Schley Middle High School
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 229. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 26, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 26, 2010.