Elle and Blair Fowler
|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (January 2012)|
|Elle and Blair Fowler|
|Born||Elle and Blair Fowler
May 25, 1988 (Elle)
April 1, 1993 (Blair)
Augusta, Georgia, U.S.
|Occupation||YouTube beauty gurus|
Elle Fowler (born May 25, 1988) and Blair Fowler (born April 1, 1993) are sisters who post beauty and style-related tutorials on YouTube under the monikers AllThatGlitters21 (Elle) and juicystar07 (Blair). Elle first stumbled into the beauty and fashion world of YouTube the summer of 2008, and soon convinced Blair to begin filming videos as well. Their videos of makeup tutorials and clothing hauls quickly garnered a large audience and rose in popularity. As of July 2013, Elle's videos on AllThatGlitters21 have been viewed more than 145 million times, while Blair's channel juicystar07 has received over 240 million views.
Both sisters also post vlogs under the monikers EllesGlitterGossip and otherjuicystar07, allowing subscribers to keep track of their daily lives outside of the YouTube community. Their respective second YouTube channels move away from purely beauty and fashion-related videos and branch into other topics such as health & fitness, their daily musings, and other random interests.
Elle Fowler was born Lisa Fowler on May 25, 1988 to Dr. Scott Fowler, a physician, OB/GYN, with Holston Medical Group, and Melisa Fowler. Blair Fowler was born Elizabeth Fowler on April 1, 1993 in Augusta, Georgia and the family's youngest Emily Fowler was born on October 15, 2002. After Blair's fifth birthday, the family relocated from New Orleans to Kingsport, Tennessee, where Blair attended Dobyns-Bennett High School. Elle attended Miami University of Ohio.
They recently moved to Los Angeles, California. A joint video gained over 500,000 views, and by August 2010 they together had 130 million views combined on all of their videos. They have appeared in Seventeen, where Elle had previously interned, as a Beauty and Hair Smarties. The sisters have also appeared in teen fashion magazine, Teen Vogue. Most recently, the two created an online lifestyle website titled elleandblair.com. In 2011, Blair was the youngest ever makeup artist at New York City Fashion Week, where she and Elle also modeled in a show. In 2010 they signed an agreement with Kinectic Content to star in a reality TV show.
The sisters first began posting YouTube videos in 2008 when Elle first began posting videos and convincing her sister Blair to join her soon after. In 2010 their videos received over 75 million views. They were later invited by Seventeen to offer makeup tips and suggestions to readers and in an interview with Good Morning America Blair mentioned that she had to become homeschooled to allow her more time to focus on their videos. The two have received criticism over their haul videos potentially fueling shopping addictions and cultural idealizations of consumption and materialism, with an expert in shopping addiction listing the video as an example. In 2012 the Fowlers became the hosts and main judges of the webseries Beauty Vlogger Boot Camp, which revolves around young men and women aspiring to be online gurus. Each episode has the contestants competing in a beauty-related challenge, with one person getting eliminated before the next round begins. They have also been nominated twice for Teen Choice Awards in the "Web Star" category for 2011 and 2012, but lost both years.
The two later released a novel, written by a themselves and a ghost writer, entitled Beneath the Glitter, with the character designs for the main characters being loosely based on the Fowler sisters. The Fowlers have also released a makeup line, Skylark, and in October 2012 announced that they would release a shoe and handbag line in conjunction with online fashion retailer JustFab.
London Sisters series
- "AllThatGlitters21's Channel – YouTube". Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- "juicystar07's Channel – YouTube". Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Zhou, Momo (July 10, 2009). "'YouTube-ing' All the Way to the Bank". ABC News. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- "Ellesglittergossip Channel – YouTube". Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- "otherjuicystar07 Channel – YouTube". Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- Gore, Marci (July 17, 2009). "Sisters take their YouTube success to Seventeen". Times News Online. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- "Seasons For You: Locations in Virginia and Tennessee". Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "Tube Tops and Teddy Bears". On The Runway (New York Times). 22 April 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- Sparano, Nina (August 26, 2010). "Teen Haul Videos Turning Into Cash". KWGN-TV. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Elle and Blair Talk About Their New Website ElleAndBlair.com. 2 March 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- Gold, Grace (26 February 2010). "YouTube Sister Pair Blair & Elle Folwer Are Youngest Makeup Artists At Fashion Week". Stylelist. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Trademark of Elle Fowler owned by Lisa Fowler". United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- "Trademark of Blair Fowler owned by Scott Fowler, parent of Elizabeth Fowler". United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Andreeva, Nellie (11 October 2010). "Kinetic Content Developing Style-Themed Reality Series With YouTube Stars". Deadline. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Get to Know: YouTube Shopping Stars". Marie Claire. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Girls Gone Viral: Online Fame From Shopping". ABC News. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Teen Bloggers Cash In With 'Haul Videos'". ABC News. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Internet May Be Fueling Shopping Addiction". CBS New York. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Boot Camp, Ep. 1: Wake Up, No Makeup". YouTube. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Elle and Blair Fowler's New Makeup Line Revealed". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "JustFab.com Announces Exclusive Collection with Online Fashion and Beauty Gurus Elle and Blair Fowler". PR NewsWire. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Review: Beneath the Glitter". RT Book Reviews. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Review: Beneath the Glitter". School Library Journal (BookVerdict). Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Review: Beneath the Glitter". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elle and Blair Fowler.|