Ellen Bryant Voigt
Ellen Bryant Voigt (born 1943) is an American poet. She has published six collections of poetry and a collection of craft essays. Her poetry collection Shadow of Heaven (2002) was a finalist for the National Book Award and Kyrie (1995) was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. Her poetry has been published in several national publications. She served as the Poet Laureate of Vermont for four years and in 2003 was elected a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets.
Voigt grew up in Chatham, Virginia, graduated from Converse College, and received an M.F.A. from the University of Iowa. She has taught at M.I.T. and Goddard College where in 1976 she developed and directed the nation's first low-residency M.F.A. in Creative Writing program. Since 1981 she has taught in the Warren Wilson College MFA Program for Writers. She is married to Fran Voigt formerly an administrator at Goddard College. They have two children, Dudley and Will. She resides in Cabot, Vermont.
- Claiming Kin (1976)
- The Forces of Plenty (1983)
- The Lotus Flowers: Poems (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 1987. ISBN 0-393-02445-8)
- Two Trees (1992)
- Kyrie (1995)
- The Flexible Lyric (essays) (2001)
- Shadow of Heaven (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2002)
- Messenger: New and Selected Poems 1976-2006 (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2007)
- Headwaters (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2013)
Awards and honors
- National Endowment for the Arts grant recipient
- Guggenheim Foundation grant recipient
- 67th Academy of American Poets Fellowship
- Vermont Council of Arts grant recipient
- Pushcart Prize
- Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund fellowship
- 1999–2003 - Poet Laureate of Vermont
- 2002 - Merrill Fellowship from The Academy of American Poets
- 2002 - O. B. Hardison, Jr. Poetry Prize
- 2003 - Elected Chancellor of The Academy of American Poets
- "The Author" in The Lotus Flower: Poems. New York: W.W. Norton & Company. 1987. ISBN 0-393-02445-8.
- "Ellen Bryant Voigt". Poets.org. The Academy of American Poets. (retrieved 03/01/2007)
- "Interview with Ellen Bryant Voigt by Monica Mankin. Fugue Literary Journal, University of Idaho. Winter 2003/2004.
- A Lecture by Ellen Bryant Voigt Blackbird December 1, 2004.
- An Interview with Ellen Bryant Voigt Blackbird March 30, 2005.
- About Ellen Bryant Voight: A Profile Ploughshares Winter 1996-97.
- Review of Messenger: New and Selected Poems 1976-2006 Blackbird Fall 2006.