Early life and education
Pao, along with her two sisters, was born to Chinese immigrant parents. Her father, Young-Ping Pao, was a professor at New York University's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. Pao was raised in Maplewood, New Jersey.
Pao graduated from Princeton University with a degree in Electrical Engineering in 1991 and Harvard Law School in 1994. She worked as a corporate attorney at Cravath, Swaine & Moore after law school. She then enrolled at Harvard Business School where she graduated with an MBA.
She joined Kleiner Perkins in 2005. On May 10, 2012, Pao filed a gender discrimination suit against the firm. On October 1, 2012, she left the firm. Her lawyer said she was fired in retaliation for her lawsuit. The firm said Pao was terminated for performance reasons unrelated to the lawsuit.
- PAUL ELIAS Ellen Pao Lawsuit: Sexual Harassment Case Roils Silicon Valley 07/19/2012 Huffington Post (Associated Press)
- Lashinsky, Adam. "A tale of money, sex and power: The Ellen Pao and Buddy Fletcher affair". CNN Money. Fortune Magazine (reprint). Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- "Kleiner gender discrimination suit". Retrieved May 24, 2012.
- Thomas, Owen (October 3, 2012). "Ellen Pao's Lawyer: Kleiner Perkins Just Fired Her—And We're Filing A Wrongful-Termination Complaint". The San Francsico Chronicle. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Gage, Deborah (October 3, 2012). "Ellen Pao Leaving Kleiner Perkins, Remains on Payroll". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|