|Address||1025 Ellesmere Avenue
|Structure type||at grade|
|Opened||22 March 1985|
Ellesmere is a station on the Scarborough Rapid Transit (SRT) line of the subway/RT system of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located at 1025 Ellesmere Road, between Kennedy Road and Midland Avenue. It was opened in 1985.
Ellesmere is the least-used station on the entire TTC network. On average, only 1,850 passengers boarded trains here each day in 2006-2007 and only 1,678 in 2007-2008. Part of the reason for this is that there are no bus bays or at least a direct connection to any bus stop at the station; passengers would have to walk to the nearest bus stop on Ellesmere Road.
The station is on two levels, the Scarborough RT is on ground level, and the entrance to the station is below it, which can be entered through one of two flights of stairs, accessed from either Midland Avenue or Kennedy Avenue.
The upgrade and replacement of the Scarborough RT portion is scheduled to start in late 2015, after the conclusion of the 2015 Pan American Games and the 2015 Parapan American Games. Scarborough RT riders will be bussed for three years until the upgrade is completed.
The on-site park-and-ride lot has room for 60 vehicles.
Rapid transit infrastructure in the vicinity
North of this station, the line turns 90° east, dipping briefly into tunnel to cross under nearby railway tracks, then rising to an elevated structure for the remainder of its route. South of the station, the line continues to travel at ground level for the remainder of the route.
A transfer is required to connect between the subway system and these surface routes:
- 95 York Mills to York Mills Station
- "Subway ridership, 2011-2012". Toronto Transit Commission. "This table shows the typical number of customer-trips made on each subway on an average weekday and the typical number of customers travelling to and from each station platform on an average weekday. Five stations serve two subways, and so are listed twice, once for each subway"
- "Conceptual Design of Underground Stations (page 3)". Metrolinx. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown Presentation Update - Community Meeting (York Civic Centre)" June 30, 2011
- "Eglinton LRT ready to launch" By Tess Kalinowski, Toronto Star. June 29 2011
Media related to Ellesmere Station at Wikimedia Commons