Ellesmere College Leicester
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
Leicester, Leicestershire, LE3 1BE,
|School type||Community special school|
|Established||Monday September 4, 1995|
|Principal||Miss Lisa Pittwood|
|Number of students||240|
|Sixth Form Students||35|
Ellesmere College is a community special school in Leicester, England. It serves secondary school students with moderate learning difficulties. Established on Monday September 4, 1995, the school is recognized as a specialist Sports College.
Ellesmere College was opened by ex-Leicester City Football Club striker Gary Lineker on Monday September 4, 1995, with principal Fiona Moir and vice Principal Dave Thomas at the launch of the new school.
In June 1997 Robbie Savage, ex-Leicester City player, handed over the keys to the first Ellesmere College minibus.
Principals of Ellesmere College since 1995:
- Fiona Moir (September 4, 1995 – July 14, 2006)
- Andrew Large (September 4, 2006 - December 18, 2009)
- Lisa Pittwood (January 4, 2010 – Present)
- Lin Richardson & Lisa Pittwood (September 1, 2011 – Present)
Sixth Form Managers:
- Neil Foster September 4,1995 – July 13, 2001
- Andrea Knight Nee Sousbly September 3, 2001 – July 13, 2012
- Nila Lodhia & Karen Flinders (September 3, 2012 – Present)
- Dave Thomas (September 4, 1995– July 10, 2009)
- Neil Foster (September 1, 2009 – July 8, 2011)
- Neville Logue (September 1, 2009 – Present)
- Angela Smith (September 1, 2011 – Present)
It has been confirmed that Ellesmere College will move to the Old Riverside Community College, Lyncote Road, in September 2014, with building work to start now on February 2013. It is to be rebuilt in its original form. Ellesmere are Hoping to Leave Ellesmere Road by July 2014 they move to new Building from September 2014 Date TBA Soon.
Ellesmere are in talks in today's Leicester Mercury about Reducing age from 11-19 to 10-19
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
Extracurricular activities 
Sports at Ellesmere College include athletics, dance, football, rugby, and volleyball. The present Ellesmere football manager is Sue Mangham.
Previous Ellesmere College football managers:
- Neville Logue (February 2, 1996 – July 12, 1996)
- Neil Foster (September 6, 1996 – July 8, 2005)
- Paul Biscombe (April 6, 2001 – July 13, 2001)
- Sue Mangham (September 2, 2005 – Present)
PE Sports Team:
- Simon Coopey, Head of PE, (September 3, 2007 – Present)
- Jethro Bird (October 8, 2012 – Present)
- Maria Starvides (September 1, 2005 – Present)
- Sue Mangham (September 1, 2005 – Present)
- Paul Biscombe (September 4, 2000 – Present)
Ellesmere College made their debut in the first-ever football match which took place on Friday, February 2, 1996 against Mapplewell. Ellesmere won the game 6–1 Neville Logue was the very first Manager of the Football team. In 2013 it is 17 years they have been playing against teams from Keyham Lodge Mapplewell and Millgate.
Notable former students 
- Lee Penfold, Basketball Player for Team Great Britain at the 2007 and 2011 Special Olympics World Summer Games in Shanghai, China and Athens, Greece. Former student (September 4, 1995 – July 13, 2001).
- Miles Middleton, Gymnastics for Team Great Britain at the 2003 Special Olympics World Summer Games in Dublin, Ireland. Former student (August 29, 1996 – July 9, 1999).
- Tom Taylor, Basketball Player for Team Great Britain at the 2011 Special Olympics World Summer Games in Athens Greece. Former student (August 30th 2004 – July 10th 2009).
|This Leicestershire school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|