Ellington, New York
|Ellington, New York|
|Nickname(s): "A Grand Old Town"|
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Laura M. Cronk (R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||36.56 sq mi (94.69 km2)|
|• Land||36.54 sq mi (94.65 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||1,411 ft (430 m)|
|• Density||45/sq mi (17.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0978935|
The first settler arrived around 1814. The town of Ellington was formed in 1824 from the town of Gerry.
Ellington is located on the eastern edge of Chautauqua County, bordered by Cattaraugus County to the east. It is northeast of Jamestown, the largest city in Chautauqua County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Ellington has a total area of 36.6 square miles (94.7 km2), of which 0.015 square miles (0.04 km2), or 0.04%, is water.
Adjacent towns and areas
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,639 people, 568 households, and 440 families residing in the town. The population density was 44.8 people per square mile (17.3/km²). There were 636 housing units at an average density of 17.4 per square mile (6.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.35% White, 0.18% African American, 0.67% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.61% of the population.
There were 568 households out of which 36.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.9% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 16.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.4% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 29.5% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 10.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 100.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,300, and the median income for a family was $41,058. Males had a median income of $28,000 versus $21,842 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,790. About 9.3% of families and 12.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.1% of those under age 18 and 12.7% of those age 65 or over.
Ellington Town Picnic
Every year on the first weekend of August, the town hosts it famous "Ellington Town Picnic". The picnic has activities such as a woodcutting contest, cake contest and auction, world's ugliest dog contest, baby contest, horse shoe throwing contest, BBQ, square dance and music, and the town also shoots off a brilliant fireworks show near the west side of the town park on Saturday night. This picnic has been going year after year for over 100 years making it one of the oldest town picnics in America.
- William Parment, former New York State Assemblyman
Communities and locations in Ellington
- Bates – A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town on County Routes 64 and 66.
- Clear Creek – A hamlet on the eastern town line, south of Conewango Valley on NY Route 83.
- Clear Creek – A tributary of Conewango Creek that flows eastward past the community of Clear Creek. It is part of the Allegheny River watershed.
- Conewango Valley – A hamlet on the eastern town line on Route 83.
- Ellington – The hamlet of Ellington in the town's center at the junction of County Roads 50 (West Main Street) and 66 (Thornton Road) and US Route 62.
- Gates Corners – A location on the north town line.
- Kings School Corner – A location by the north town line on Route 83.
- Waterboro – A hamlet by the southeast part of the town.
- Town of Ellington website
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ellington town, Chautauqua County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.