Elliot Johnson (baseball)
March 9, 1984 |
|Bats: Switch||Throws: Right|
|April 5, 2008 for the Tampa Bay Rays|
(through 2013 seaosn)
|Runs batted in||69|
Tampa Bay Rays
He signed with the Devil Rays as a non-drafted free agent on June 29, 2002. Johnson began his professional career in 2005 playing for the Visalia Rawhide of Visalia, California (A class A minor-league affiliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at the time). In the same season, Johnson got promoted to class AA, then in 2006 moved to Durham, NC to play with the class AAA minor league affiliate of the Rays.
Johnson made the Tampa Bay Rays opening day roster for the 2008 season. On April 5, 2008, Johnson made his debut against the New York Yankees as the team's designated hitter. He had four at bats and recorded his first major league hit, a single.
John Romano of The St. Petersburg Times wrote in March 2011 that he was likely one of three players competing for two spots on the Rays bench, with the other two being outfielder Sam Fuld and first baseman Casey Kotchman. Johnson made the opening day roster, along with Fuld. On May 15, 2011, he hit his first major league home run against Baltimore Orioles pitcher Jake Arrieta. On August 12, 2011 he was one of 5 Rays to hit solo home runs off CC Sabathia in a 5-1 Tampa Bay victory. Johnson was designated for assignment on February 5, 2013.
Kansas City Royals
Johnson was acquired by the Kansas City Royals on February 12, 2013 from the Rays as the player to be named later in the James Shields trade. He was designated for assignment on August 15, 2013. He was released on August 19, 2013.
Johnson was claimed off waivers by the Atlanta Braves on August 22, 2013. He played in his first game as a Brave on the same day. In his first four at bats, Johnson singled twice. He hit his first RBI as a Brave three days later on August 25, 2013. After the season, Johnson was non-tendered by the Braves, making him a free agent.
Johnson has 4 brothers, three of which were drafted but then dropped. Johnson proposed to his wife standing between the mound and home plate. They reside in Montgomery with their son Blake.
- John Romano. "Perspective is strength of Tampa Bay Rays hopeful Sam Fuld". The St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "Rays hit 5 Solo Homeruns vs Sabathia", The Baseball Page
- Mooney, Roger (February 5, 2013). "Tampa Bay Rays officially sign Farnsworth, Kelly Johnson". Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Gleeman, Aaron (February 5, 2013). "Rays designate Reid Brignac and Elliot Johnson for assignment". NBCSports.com. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Twitter / Braves: #Braves declined to tender contracts to infielders Paul Janish and Elliot Johnson, and RHP Cristhian Martinez