Elliot Johnson (baseball)
Johnson with the Kansas City Royals
Texas Rangers – No. 78
March 9, 1984 |
|April 5, 2008 for the Tampa Bay Rays|
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||69|
Elliot Tyler Johnson (born March 9, 1984) is an American professional baseball utility player in the Texas Rangers organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Tampa Bay Rays, Kansas City Royals, Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians.
Tampa Bay Rays
He signed with the Devil Rays as a non-drafted free agent on June 29, 2002 and began his professional career with the Princeton Rays rookie level team in Princeton, West Virginia. In 2005, he played for the Visalia Rawhide of Visalia, California (A class A minor-league affiliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, the Visalia Oaks, at the time). In the same season, Johnson got promoted to class AA with the Montgomery Biscuits, then in 2006 moved to Durham, NC to play with the class AAA minor league affiliate of the Rays.
Johnson made the Tampa Bay Rays opening day roster for the 2008 season. On April 5, 2008, Johnson made his debut against the New York Yankees as the team's designated hitter. He had four at bats and recorded his first major league hit, a single.
John Romano of The St. Petersburg Times wrote in March 2011 that he was likely one of three players competing for two spots on the Rays bench, with the other two being outfielder Sam Fuld and first baseman Casey Kotchman. Johnson made the opening day roster, along with Fuld. On May 15, 2011, he hit his first major league home run against Baltimore Orioles pitcher Jake Arrieta. On August 12, 2011 he was one of 5 Rays to hit solo home runs off CC Sabathia in a 5-1 Tampa Bay victory. Johnson was designated for assignment on February 5, 2013.
Kansas City Royals
Johnson was acquired by the Kansas City Royals on February 12, 2013 from the Rays as the player to be named later in the James Shields trade. He was designated for assignment on August 15, 2013. He was released on August 19, 2013.
Johnson was claimed off waivers by the Atlanta Braves on August 22, 2013. He played in his first game as a Brave on the same day. In his first four at bats, Johnson singled twice. He hit his first RBI as a Brave three days later on August 25, 2013. After the season, Johnson was non-tendered by the Braves, making him a free agent.
On January 27, 2014 Johnson signed a minor league contract with the Cleveland Indians. The contract included an invitation to Major League Spring Training. On March 22, it was announced that Johnson had made the opening day roster. He was designated for assignment on May 3, 2014. Johnson cleared waivers on May 9, and was sent to the Triple–A Columbus Clippers. He elected free agency in October 2014.
- "Gomes, Rays pound Pettitte, dump Yankees". Associated Press. ESPN.com. April 5, 2008. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- John Romano. "Perspective is strength of Tampa Bay Rays hopeful Sam Fuld". The St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "J.J. Hardy hits grand slam in Orioles' lopsided win". Associated Press. ESPN.com. May 15, 2011. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- "Rays hit 5 Solo Homeruns vs Sabathia", The Baseball Page
- Mooney, Roger (February 5, 2013). "Tampa Bay Rays officially sign Farnsworth, Kelly Johnson". Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Gleeman, Aaron (February 5, 2013). "Rays designate Reid Brignac and Elliot Johnson for assignment". NBCSports.com. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (February 12, 2013). "Royals Acquire Elliot Johnson". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Dutton, Bob (August 15, 2013). "Royals cut Elliot Johnson to make room for Emilio Bonifacio". Kansas Cit y Star. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Adams, Steve (August 19, 2013). "Royals Release Elliot Johnson". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Twitter / Braves: #Braves declined to tender contracts to infielders Paul Janish and Elliot Johnson, and RHP Cristhian Martinez
- "Indians, Elliot Johnson reach deal". Associated Press. ESPPN.com. January 27, 2014. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Hoynes, Paul (January 27, 2014). "Cleveland Indians sign infielder Elliot Johnson to minor league deal". Cleveland Plain Dealer. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Hoynes, Paul (March 22, 2014). "Vinnie Pestano, Elliot Johnson make Cleveland Indians' roster; Jeff Francoeur, Matt Carson cut". Cleveland Plain Dealer (Northeast Ohio Media Group). Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- Ellsesser, Stephen (May 3, 2014). "Indians designate Johnson, recall Hagadone". MLB.com. Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- Hoynes, Paul (May 9, 2014). "Jason Kipnis cleared to do "low level' baseball activities: Terry Francona's quick hits". Cleveland Plain Dealer (Northeast Ohio Media Group). Retrieved March 26, 2015.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- Gleeman, Aaron (February 23, 2015). "Rangers sign Elliot Johnson". NBC Sports. Retrieved March 26, 2015.