Elliot Scheiner (né Elliot Ray Scheiner; born 18 March 1947) is a music producer, mixer and engineer. Scheiner has received 24 Grammy Award nominations, 7 of which he won, and he has been awarded four Emmy nominations, two Emmy Awards for his work with the Eagles on their farewell tour broadcast, and the documentary film History of the Eagles, three TEC Awards nominations, a TEC Hall of Fame inductee, and recipient of the Surround Pioneer Award. Elliot holds an honorary Doctor of Music degree from the Berklee College of Music and is one of the only Americans to be awarded the Master of Sound honor from the Japan Audio Society.
Scheiner began his career in 1967 as Phil Ramone's assistant at A & R Recording in New York City, and quickly advanced to engineer. By 1973 he had begun to freelance as an engineer and producer, becoming the first person ever to work as a freelance engineer for other artists. Scheiner is considered to be among the most accomplished sound engineers and producers in his field [not identified].
Scheiner has produced and engineered a range of artists, including Foo Fighters, Toto, Beck, Faith Hill, Steely Dan, Band of Horses, Ricky Martin, Sting, Bruce Hornsby, Paul Simon, B.B. King, George Benson, Chaka Khan, Van Morrison, Donald Fagen, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Eagles, Aerosmith, Joe Jackson and Glenn Frey.
Scheiner was nominated in 2005 for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Variety or Music Series or Special or Animation, for his mixing for Eric Clapton in Great Performances; Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival (1972).
He mixed the IMAX film All Access: Front Row. Backstage. Live! (2001) in surround sound. The film footage includes Dave Matthews, Sheryl Crow, Macy Gray, Kid Rock, Moby, George Clinton, Mary J. Blige, Al Green, and Rob Thomas.
Scheiner also collaborated with Panasonic to create the ELS Surround premium audio system for Acura's RL/RLX, TL/TLX, ILX, TSX, RDX & MDX and most recently the ZDX. The audio system has received rave reviews from the automotive press, audiophiles and musicians since it was introduced on the 2004 Acura TL.
Scheiner mixed The Eagles’ four-hour documentary, History of the Eagles (2013). He also mixed Beck's reinterpretation of the David Bowie hit "Sound and Vision." Scheiner also recorded and mixed Eric Clapton's Crossroads 2013 featuring Eric Clapton and friends at Madison Square Garden in New York in April 2013.
Scheiner is represented by Joe D'Ambrosio Management, Inc. (JDMi), a New York corporation.
- General references
- "ELS Surround — From The Studio, To Your Vehicle" (about the system Scheiner designed), www
- Interview Session 1, March 28, 2007
- Interview Session 2, April 12, 2007
- Interview Session 3, June 18, 2007
- Interview Session 4, July 25, 2007
- Elliot Talks About Audio Production," Scheiner interviewed by Johnny Jaskot, www
.recordproduction .com (blog of Mike Banks, England)
- Elliot video blog, www
- Elliot works with Band of Horses on 5.1 mix of Laredo on YouTube
- Elliot works with Ozomatli at Capitol Records on YouTube
- Elliot Scheiner and the Subdudes at the Music Shed in New Orleans on YouTube
- Inline citations
- Who's Who in America (Scheiner in Vol. 2 of 3), New Providence, New Jersey: Marquis Who's Who; ISSN 1094-6985
53rd ed., 1999 (1998); OCLC 40048997
55th ed., 2001 (2000); OCLC 45204099
- Who's Who in Entertainment, Marquis Who's Who; ISSN 1044-0887
2nd ed., 1992–1993 (1992); OCLC 25523584
3rd ed., 1998–1999 (1997); OCLC 19003710
- How Does It Sound Now? by Gary Gottlieb, Course Technology (2010), pg. 319; OCLC 535576372 ()
- Joe D'Ambrosio Management, Inc. (official website) www