Elliott H. Lieb
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Elliott H. Lieb|
July 31, 1932 |
University of Birmingham
|Doctoral advisor||Samuel Frederick Edwards|
|Known for||Temperley–Lieb algebra
Lieb's square ice constant
|Notable awards||Heineman Prize for Mathematical Physics (1978)
Max Planck medal
Henri Poincaré Prize
Elliott Hershel Lieb (born July 31, 1932) is an American mathematical physicist and professor of mathematics and physics at Princeton University who specializes in statistical mechanics, condensed matter theory, and functional analysis.
He is a prolific author in mathematics and physics with over 300 publications. He received his B.S. in physics from MIT (1953) and his Ph.D. in mathematical physics from the University of Birmingham in England (1956). Lieb was a (1956–1957) Fulbright Fellow at Kyoto University, Japan and for some time worked as the Staff Theoretical Physicist for IBM.
He has been a professor at Princeton since 1975, following a leave from his professorship at MIT. Lieb has been awarded several prizes in mathematics and physics, including the 1978 Heineman Prize for Mathematical Physics of the American Physical Society and the American Institute of Physics (1978), the Max Planck Medal of the German Physical Society (1992), the Boltzmann medal of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (1998), the Schock Prize (2001), and the Henri Poincaré Prize of the International Association of Mathematical Physics (2003). He is a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and has twice served (1982–1984 and 1997–1999) as the President of the International Association of Mathematical Physics. Lieb was awarded the Austrian Decoration for Science and Art in 2002. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society and in 2013 a Foreign Member of the Royal Society.
Publication list (partial)
- Lieb, Elliott H.; Loss, Michael. Analysis. Graduate Studies in Mathematics, 14. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1997. xviii+278 pp. ISBN 0-8218-0632-7
- Lieb, Elliott H. The Stability of Matter: From Atoms to Stars. Selecta of Elliott H. Lieb. Edited by W. Thirring, with a preface by F. Dyson. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005. xv+932 pp. ISBN 3-540-22212-X
- Lieb, Elliott H. Inequalities. Selecta of Elliott H. Lieb. Edited, with a preface and commentaries, by M. Loss and M. B. Ruskai. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2002. xi+711 pp. ISBN 3-540-43021-0
- Lieb, Elliott H. Statistical mechanics. Selecta of Elliott H. Lieb. Edited, with a preface and commentaries, by B. Nachtergaele, J. P. Solovej and J. Yngvason. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2004. x+505 pp. ISBN 3-540-22297-9
- Lieb, Elliott H. Condensed matter physics and exactly soluble models. Selecta of Elliott H. Lieb. Edited by B. Nachtergaele, J. P. Solovej and J. Yngvason. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2004. x+675 pp. ISBN 3-540-22298-7
- Lieb, Elliott H.; Seiringer, Robert; Solovej, Jan Philip; Yngvason, Jakob. The mathematics of the Bose gas and its condensation. Oberwolfach Seminars, 34. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, 2005. viii+203 pp. ISBN 978-3-7643-7336-8; 3-7643-7336-9
- Temperley–Lieb algebra
- Lieb's square ice constant
- Brascamp–Lieb inequality
- Lieb–Liniger Model
- Lieb's theorem
- Von Neumann entropy
- Convex Trace Functions and the Wigner-Yanase-Dyson Conjecture.
- "Reply to a parliamentary question" (pdf) (in German). p. 1517. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-27.
- "New Fellows 2013". Royal Society. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Faculty page at Princeton.