Ellsworth Township, Mahoning County, Ohio
|Ellsworth Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Mahoning County
|• Total||25.7 sq mi (66.6 km2)|
|• Land||25.4 sq mi (65.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
|• Density||88/sq mi (33.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086562|
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Austintown Township - northeast corner
- Canfield Township - east
- Green Township - southeast
- Goshen Township - southwest
- Berlin Township - west
- Milton Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Ellsworth Township was established in 1810. Ellsworth is the name of a "prominent citizen of Connecticut".
It is the only Ellsworth Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ellsworth township, Mahoning County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Sanderson, Thomas W. (1907). Twentieth Century History of Youngstown and Mahoning County. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 200.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.