Elmer Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
|Elmer Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||40.7 sq mi (105.4 km2)|
|• Land||40.6 sq mi (105.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,280 ft (390 m)|
|• Density||3.7/sq mi (1.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664083|
CR 5 runs north–south through the northeast portion of the township. CR 133 runs east–west through the middle of Elmer Township.
The unincorporated community of Elmer is located within the northeast corner of Elmer Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 40.7 square miles (105 km2); 40.6 square miles (105 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), or 0.32%, is water.
Joula Creek flows through the western portion of the township.
The Saint Louis River runs north–south along Elmer Township's eastern boundary line with adjacent Meadowlands Township.
Adjacent townships, cities, and communities
The following are adjacent to Elmer Township :
- Toivola Township (north)
- Meadowlands Township (east)
- The city of Meadowlands (east)
- Ness Township (southeast)
- Van Buren Township (south)
- The city of Floodwood (south)
- Potshot Lake Unorganized Territory (southwest)
- Cedar Valley Township (west and northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 165 people, 59 households, and 47 families residing in the township. The population density was 4.1 people per square mile (1.6/km²). There were 66 housing units at an average density of 1.6/sq mi (0.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 100.00% White.
There were 59 households out of which 28.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.5% were married couples living together, 5.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.3% were non-families. 20.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.5% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 24.2% from 25 to 44, 29.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 106.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 115.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $42,344, and the median income for a family was $43,250. Males had a median income of $32,917 versus $10,417 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,418. About 20.8% of families and 19.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.8% of those under the age of eighteen and 23.8% of those sixty five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Elmer township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 25, 2011.