||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2010)|
Shropshire performing in New York in 2009.
|Also known as||Dr. Elmo|
October 26, 1936 |
|Associated acts||Elmo & Patsy, The Halloween Ghouls|
Elmo Shropshire, D.V.M. (born October 26, 1936), better known by his stage name Dr. Elmo, is a singer of comedy songs, most notably "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer". He originally recorded the song in 1979 with his then-wife Patsy. He re-recorded it solo in 1992 for the album Dr. Elmo's Twisted Christmas and again in 2000 for the album Up Your Chimney. He also recorded two albums of year-round songs: Dr. Elmo's Twisted Tunes (1993) and Love, Death and Taxes (2000).
Elmo is a native of Lexington, Kentucky, and has a degree in veterinary medicine from Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama. After moving to San Francisco, he opened an animal hospital and became a competitive runner, all while continuing to play with his bluegrass band.
On October 13, 2012 Elmo Shropshire won his age division in the US National 5K Cross Country Championship in San Diego, CA. October 27, 2013 he won a gold medal in the World Master's Games as part of the USA 4 X 400 USA relay team in Porto Allegre, Brazil. 
Success with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"
In 1979, Shropshire recorded "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" (written by his friend Randy Brooks) and became an instant regional superstar.
Elmo originally invested $40,000 of his own money to produce the original album and music video for "Grandma..." and in return, he's become "a millionaire five times over". Since then, Elmo has become part of a class action suit against Sony based upon the royalties paid from downloads and ringtone sales.
In the Christmas special Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, Dr. Elmo served as co-writer, and the voices of Grandpa and the adult Jake narrating.
- With Elmo & Patsy
- Playin' Possum (as The Homestead Act) (1974)
- Elmo & Patsy (1974)
- Will You Be Ready? (1980)
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (1983)
- "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" (1979)
- Solo releases
- Dr. Elmo's Twisted Christmas (1992)
- Dr. Elmo's Twisted Tunes (1993)
- Love, Death, and Taxes (2000)
- Up Your Chimney (2000)
- Dr. Elmo's MisceLOONYous Tunes (2000)
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (2002)
- Christmas in the U.S.A. (2004)
- Dr. Elmo Sings the Boos (2005)
- Redneck Dracula (2006) (with the Halloween Ghouls)
- Redneck Santa (2007)
- Dr. Elmo Bluegrass Christmas (2010)
- http://www.pacificsun.com/story_archives/dr_elmo.html[dead link]
- "'Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer' singer is sued". USA Today. 2007-11-27. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "How to make a million dollars". Kiplinger's Personal Finance. Retrieved 2006-10-30.
- Napoli, Lisa (2006-10-30). "Ringtone royalties" (Audio with transcript). Marketplace.
- Official website
- Dr. Elmo performing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" 2012 in Mill Valley,CA
- 2012 Novelty reindeer song still has legs
- December 2012 'What's so funny about a dead grandma?!'Elmo Shropshire's not sure, but he's been delighting America by the idea for 30 years...
- December 7, 2012 Dr. Elmo's 'Grandma' Gets Her Revenge-The inimitable Christmas classic tops a Billboard chart for the first time in 27 years.