Shropshire performing in New York in 2009.
|Also known as||Dr. Elmo|
October 26, 1936 |
|Associated acts||Elmo & Patsy, The Halloween Ghouls|
Elmo Shropshire, DVM (born October 26, 1936), is a singer of comedy tunes, most notably the holiday song "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer". He originally recorded the song in 1979 with his then-wife, Patsy. Under the stage name Dr. Elmo, he re-recorded it solo for the 1992 album Dr. Elmo's Twisted Christmas, and again in 2000 for the album Up Your Chimney. He also recorded two albums of year-round songs: Dr. Elmo's Twisted Tunes (1993) and Love, Death and Taxes (2000).
Elmo is a native of Lexington, Kentucky, and has a degree in veterinary medicine from Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama. After moving to San Francisco, he opened an animal hospital and became a competitive runner, all while continuing to play with his bluegrass band.
Success with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"
In 1979, Elmo and his wife, Patsy Trigg, recorded "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" (written by his friend Randy Brooks), and instantly, Elmo & Patsy became regional superstars. They divorced in 1985. Since then, Elmo has become part of a class action suit against Sony based upon the royalties paid from downloads and ringtone sales.
In 2000, he served as co-writer of an animated Christmas special based on the song. For this TV special, he also provided the voices of Grandpa and the narrator. In 2007, Elmo was sued by the Fred Rappaport Company, the producer of the show, over the right to use the song in show-related merchandise.
On October 13, 2012, Elmo Shropshire won his age division in the US National 5K Cross Country Championship in San Diego, CA, and on October 27, 2013 he won a gold medal in the World Master's Games as part of the USA 4×400 relay team in Porto Allegre, Brazil. 
Elmo & Patsy
- Playin' Possum (as The Homestead Act) (1974)
- Elmo & Patsy (1974)
- Will You Be Ready? (1980)
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (1983)
- "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" (1979)
- Dr. Elmo's Twisted Christmas (1992)
- Dr. Elmo's Twisted Tunes (1993)
- Love, Death, and Taxes (2000)
- Up Your Chimney (2000)
- Dr. Elmo's MisceLOONYous Tunes (2000)
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (2002)
- Christmas in the U.S.A. (2004)
- Dr. Elmo Sings the Boos (2005)
- Redneck Dracula (2006) (with the Halloween Ghouls)
- Redneck Santa (2007)
- Dr. Elmo Bluegrass Christmas (2010)
- 2000 - Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - Grandpa Spankenheimer, Adult Jake (Narrator)
- "AT LONG LAST SINGLES". Stubby's House of Christmas. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Napoli, Lisa (30 Oct 2006). "Ringtone royalties" (Audio with transcript). Marketplace.
- "'Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer' singer is sued". USA Today. 27 Nov 2007. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- Mason, Clark (24 Dec 2012). "Novelty reindeer song still has legs, 30 years later". Santa Rosa Press Democrat. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Official website of Dr. Elmo
- Patsy Trigg's Official Web Page
- Dr. Elmo performing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" 2012 in Mill Valley,CA
- 2012 Novelty reindeer song still has legs
- December 2012 'What's so funny about a dead grandma?!'Elmo Shropshire's not sure, but he's been delighting America by the idea for 30 years...
- December 7, 2012 Dr. Elmo's 'Grandma' Gets Her Revenge-The inimitable Christmas classic tops a Billboard chart for the first time in 27 years.
- 2013 Singer’s persistence turns reindeer song into bestseller
- 2013 Dr. Elmo on Comcast/Yahoo Sports Network
- A Remix of the original song "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." Produced and performed by Dr. Elmo, Written by Randy Brooks, re-mixed by Frank Martin