Elmwood Park, Illinois
|Elmwood Park, Illinois|
|• President||Angelo Saviano|
|• Total||1.91 sq mi (4.9 km2)|
|• Land||1.91 sq mi (4.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.0 km2) 0%|
|• Density||13,027.7/sq mi (5,030.0/km2)|
|Standard of living (2009-11)|
|• Per capita income||$26,133|
|• Median home value||$241,400|
Elmwood Park is a village bordering the northwest side of the city of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 24,883 at the 2010 census. The community has long maintained a large Italian-American population, with a more recent influx of Polish-American and Hispanic residents. One of Elmwood Park's most notable establishments is Johnnie's Beef, which is known for its Italian-style beef sandwiches.
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 1.91 square miles (4.9 km2), all land.
Elmwood Park was incorporated as a village in 1914. During the 1800s, this same SE corner of Leyden township went by the name of Orson, and before that Ellsworth after the public hero Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth  (April 11, 1837 – May 24, 1861) a law clerk and soldier, best known as the first conspicuous casualty of the American Civil War.
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 25,405 people, 9,858 households, and 6,525 families residing in the village. The population density was 13,328.4 people per square mile (5,135.6/km²). There were 10,150 housing units at an average density of 5,325.1 per square mile (2,051.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 91.54% White, 0.52% African American, 0.18% Native American, 2.09% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 3.31% from other races, and 2.34% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.01% of the population.
There were 9,858 households out of which 29.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.6% were married couples living together, 12.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.8% were non-families. 29.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the village the population was spread out with 21.9% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 16.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.5 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $47,315, and the median income for a family was $58,358. Males had a median income of $40,634 versus $28,667 for females. The per capita income for the village was $22,526. About 3.6% of families and 5.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.3% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
Elmwood Park's public schools are operated under Illinois Community Unit School District #401. The schools include:
- Elm Middle School
- John Mills Elementary School
- Elmwood Elementary School
- Early Childhood Center
- Val Belmonte, college hockey coach, CCHA Coach of the Year, current Vice President of Athletics at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut
- Lee Loughnane, founding member of the rock band Chicago
- Ray Nitschke, linebacker for the Green Bay Packers, member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Peter N. Silvestri, Cook County politician and Elmwood Park Village President
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Elmwood Park village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- "Places: Illinois". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 13, 2012.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_E._Ellsworth. Missing or empty
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Village of Elmwood Park official website
- Elmwood Park Public Library
- Elmwood Park Public Library Local History Blog
- Fifty Years of Life in Elmwood Park, at Illinois Digital Archives
- Eppllocalhistory Photostream at Flickr.com
- Elmwood Park Community Unit School District #401
- Elmwood Park Neighborhood Civic Organization
- St. Celestine Parish
- Elmwood Park Pony Baseball and Softball
- City Data
||Dunning, Chicago||Montclare, Chicago|
|River Grove, Illinois||Galewood, Chicago|
|Melrose Park, Illinois||River Forest, Illinois||Oak Park, Illinois|