||It has been suggested that LNX Code 8 be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since April 2013.|
The Elonex ONE (also referred to as ONE) is a netbook computer marketed to the education sector by Elonex. The ONE's operating system is called Linos, based on Linux kernel 2.6.21, has Wi-Fi connectivity, Ethernet networking, a solid-state hard drive, two USB ports and weighs less than 1 kg.
The ONE has been described by Elonex as the cheapest laptop in the UK and will retail for £99 in the UK. Its official unveiling took place on 28 February 2008 at The Education Show at the NEC in Birmingham and a shipping date of June 2008 was announced.
In February 2008, Elonex stated their vision is for every pupil to have their own laptop to improve computer literacy across the nation. Elonex have aligned the cost of the ONE with the aims of the DCSF closing the achievement gap between those from low-income and disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers. To support this initiative Elonex have committed to donate 1 ONE to underprivileged children from disadvantaged areas for every hundred sold.
The hardware specifications published on 28 February 2008:
Processor, Main Memory 
- LNX Code 8 Mobile 300 MHz Processor
- Dedicated Linux Memory 128 MB DDR-II SD RAM (256 MB in upgraded model)
- On-board 1 GB Flash Memory, optimised for Linux (2 GB in upgraded model)
- Removable 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB wristvault (sold separately)
Dimensions, Casing 
- Display: 18 cm High Resolution TFT LCD display; 800 x 480px Widescreen
- Dimension: 22 cm x 15 cm x 3 cm (W x L x H)
- Weight: 0.95 kg
- Interchangeable Outer Rubberised Skin (Optional)
- Splash-proof, removable QWERTY keyboard
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g (Wireless) (54Mbit/s)
- Ethernet (Wired) (10/100Mbit/s)
- Bluetooth (Wireless) in upgraded model
Peripherals, Ports 
- 2 USB 2.0 ports
- 2 built-in speakers
- 3.5 mm audio-in/mic
- 3.5 mm headphones
- 2 Mouse emulators (one on keyboard and one on rear of device, advertised as for Tablet use)
- Integrated 3 cell Battery – approximately 4 hours usage
- Power adapter
Operating System 
Similar devices 
The ONE is similar to the A-View or AW-300 A-BOOK products from Aware. They use an Aday 5F-300 MHz X86 processor. An earlier Aware product the AW-150 is sold in the USA for $199 as the MiTYBOOK.
The shipment date at the product announcement was stated as June 2008. The lack of communication from the supplier and some confusing email messages has led to comment on internet blogs regarding a perceived delay. The last email sent to potential customers on 16 June 2008 stated that
|“||Pre-ordered ONE or ONE+ deliveries are scheduled to commence towards the end of June... in the order in which the orders were received... Early Ship (Beta Test) deliveries will be made by the end of June, followed by the remaining deliveries which will be shipped on a first ordered, first delivered basis. All deliveries will be made prior to the new school year.||”|
Pre-order customers received an email in July 2008 containing a link to confirm their order. On clicking this link, Elonex offered a free upgrade to a new model, the Elonex ONEt, though it was possible to continue with the order for an Elonex One. The ONEt has a similar specification but with a faster 400 MHz processor, though its keyboard is non-detachable and it does not offer the bluetooth feature or the higher 256 MB memory of the original upgraded ONE. A presentation of ONEt model is available on the company website.
In August 2008, Elonex contacted customers who had ordered coloured models and explained that there was a further delay due to shipment problems. They offered either a black One+ for immediate delivery or an alternative ONEt model for delivery in September 2008.
Customers who were promised delivery by early August, have now been assured delivery by 5 September 2008 at the latest, and before the school term starts.
Customer deliveries started in September 2008.
Elonex introduced the One successor at IFA 2009. It's a smartbook based on ARM 11 CPA and Windows CE OS.
- Linux kernel 2.6.21
- Elonex website
- Reg Hardware preview dated 19th February 2008
- "Elonex £99 Eee PC rival to arrive in June" Reg Hardware, dated 28th February 2008
- Elonex ONE Vision
- Hardware specifications on ElonexOne site
- Aware AW-300
- Aware Electronics Inc.,Ltd History
- Taipei Trade Shows
- Taipei Trade Shows
- Taipei Trade Shows
- Confusing email messages
- Elonex ONE... will dispatch soon
- Elonex ONE... finally dispatched
- Elonex ONE un-boxed, first look review
- Detaching the Elonex ONE
- Introducing the Elonex ONEt
- Elonex new smartbooks and netbooks at IFA
- Elonex Support
- Elonex ONE
- Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market
- A forum for ONE users