|— Town —|
|• Total||14.21 km2 (5.49 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,100/km2 ( 5,500/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||North Paravur|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Ernakulam|
|Climate||Tropical monsoon (Köppen)|
|Avg. summer temperature||35 °C (95 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||20 °C (68 °F)|
Eloor is a suburb of Kochi and a municipality in Paravur Taluk, Ernakulam District in the Indian state of Kerala, India. It is an industrial area north of Cochin. It is an island of 14.21 km² formed between two distributaries of river Periyar and is the largest industrial belt in Kerala.
Eloor Moopans the traditional landlords in this area. Kottakunnu the highland has seen revolts. In 1886 Keralas first private hospital formed here St. Josephs Hospital.
There are more than 247 industries of different kinds e.g., Fertilisers and Chemicals Travancore (FACT), Travancore Cochin Chemicals, Indian Rare Earths Limited, Hindustan Insecticides Limited (the world's largest manufacturer of DDT) and many others manufacturing a range of products like chemical-petrochemical products, pesticides and insecticides, rare earth elements, rubber processing chemicals, fertilizers, zinc/chromium compounds and leather products.
As a result of its heavy industry, the town also suffers from heavy pollution, and is rated as one of the toxic hotspots of the world by Green Peace International. Kuzhikkandam Thodu the most dirty toxic spot in India.
As of 2001[update] India census, Eloor had a population of 30,092. 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Eloor has an average literacy rate of 84%, somewhat higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 81%.
Educational institutions in the area include
- Toc H School
- St. Ann's Higher Secondary School Eloor
- MES Udyogmandal School
- Gardian Angels School, Manjummel
- MES Eastern UP School
- Govt. L.P. School, Eloor South,
- Govt. High School, Kuttikattukara
- Kasthurba English Medium School
- Crescent Kinter Garden, Eloor North
- Pathalam Govt. Higher Secondary School
- Gardian Angels School, Eloor North
- ESI Hospital, Pathalam
- St. Joseph Hospital, Manjummel
- Pattupurakkal Devi Temple
- Balasubramanya Temple, Eloor Depot
- Balasubramanya Temple, Eloor Manjummel
- Naranath Temple
- Kuttakav Bhagavathy Temple
- Manjummel Christian Church
- Elanjickal Bhagavathy Kshetram
- Elanjickal Mahadeva Kshetram
- Elanjickal Nagaraja Kshetram
- Eloor Central Juma Masjid, Fact Jn.
- Eloor Juma Masjid
- Najathul Islam Masjid, Eloor North
- Parur – Eloor depo – Muttar road
- Kalamassery – Mulavukad NH road via FACT township
- Kalamassery – UC College road
- Manjummel – Kalamassery road
- Eloor Ferry – Edamula road
Notable People 
- M.K.K. Nair FACT Chairman and MD - who made a revolution in the cultural field.
- Beena Antony
- Pattanam Rasheed
- Purushan Eloor
Fact ground is the cradle of Cochin football lovers. Many other athlets also contributed by this village.
See also 
- "Eloor is one of the world's most toxic spots". Rediff.com. 10 October 2003. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
|This article related to a location in Ernakulam district, Kerala, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|