|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2007)|
|Elevation||422 m (1,385 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Mount Alexander|
|State electorate(s)||Bendigo West|
Elphinstone is a town in Victoria, Australia. The town sits at the junction of the former Calder Highway and the former Pyrenees Highway between Malmsbury and Castlemaine near Taradale and Chewton. Its local government area is the Shire of Mount Alexander.
At the 2006 Census, Elphinstone and the surrounding area had a population of 736.
The town's hub is the Elphinstone Hotel in Wright Street. Its' rustic charm and friendly publicans attracts both locals and many visitors to the district. The Hotel has recently re-opened after an extended closure due to a kitchen fire. The town's fair, renowned for its specialty foods and boutique local wines, is usually held in mid-November each year around the time of the fair in nearby Kyneton. It is called the 'Sawpit Gully' fair, in honour of the town's original name.
The countryside around Elphinstone is well known for its diverse flora and fauna which attract local and visiting bush walkers. The local terrain of undulating hills and gently winding roads also brings a number of cyclists and motorcyclists.
Elphinstone Post Office opened on 1 February 1854.
Cable and Wireless Optus built their first solar powered base station at Elphinstone in 2001. By making the mobile phone tower solar powered the company did not have to put expensive electrical power cables through the nearby state forest. The tower would improve reception in the Elphinstone area.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Elphinstone (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-01-26.
- "Elphinstone". Official Site of Maldon Castlemaine Victoria. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- "Optus solar power base station greens Elphinstone". About Optus, March 1, 2001. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elphinstone, Victoria.|
- Elphinstone Primary School 
- Elphinstone Cemetery (with photos) 
- Elphinstone Community Newsletter - the Elpho Info 
|This article about a location in Victoria, Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|